If you could start over...

bonecarver

Hello all...

It's been a long time since I've been here, or been able to carve for that matter. Drastic life changes (for the better) have led me to a new place, which is great, but, I have an empty canvas of a garage, and a burning need to start carving again...

I was "dug in" to my last workshop. I am about to start building a new studio (renting so I can't modify the space too much).

My question is this:

If you could start your workspace over, from scratch...

What would you do?

My husband and I recently made me a studio. We ran new grounded and dedicated electrical lines, put in ductwork for airconditioning and heating, things I would strongly advise. We also built 5 strong workbenches in varying heights, and 3 large hanging cabinets. The thing that hasn't been done and that bothers me, is that the cabinets have no doors on them as yet. The dust is able to get all over things that are stored there, which makes it a little unhealthy. We also put in a overhead vent that goes outside to get rid of any unhealthy/toxic fumes. We insulated and sheetrocked, etc, too.

I would have had cabinet doors and doors for under the workbenches to keep down the dust. And still haven't put in adequate overhead lighting. And even though we thought about it, it seems that we put the electrical outlets are in all the wrong places.

Hope this helps.

Debbie K

It all depends on the type of tools you use and the projects you work on. You can never have to many power outlets or to much flat space. Dust collection if you use rotary tools. Personally I now avoid any tool that makes dust. I used to do a lot of fiberglass/composite work and if I ever did anything dusty again I'd have a room dedicated to the dusty work and another for everything else.

John

Lights lights and more lights! Started on my kitchen table and I have had studios from a dirt floored basement, tiny pump house, a tiny 1937 road maintenance trailer and then a ten sided log building that was 24 feet across. I always wished that I had better lighting.

As some of you know I am almost done with my dream studio. As I designed it I decided to put the same type track lighting that you see at most jewelry trade shows, the bulbs are as near natural sunlight that I have ever seen, are only 12 volt and do not put out much heat more than about twelve inches away from the bulbs.

I have attached an image of the track lights on the ceiling of the studio so you can see what I mean, if anyone wants more information I will gladly post what I know. I have been purchasing this type track lighting because of trade shows for over fifteen years and think I have the best source to purchase them.

If you have yet to see my new studio it is at this link http://www.lopacki.com/studio/

All my best ........... Danny

P.S. I agree with JP above regarding the outlets, have eight on each wall of the new studio!

post-2604-0-23419300-1298740342.jpg

Starting out with a simple beginning would be my approach, and add what you need when you realize that you need it. Most necessary would be the tools and whet stone/sharpening methods, and materials. Next would be good task lighting (I use a daylight balanced-good spectrum-fluorescent bulb, low heat, good color). Next would be a comfortable seat or chair, and if you work at a table or bench, one that you can ding up and is heavy enough to be stable. For health reasons one must accept that the dusts are not healthful, and do something to draw away and capture the dusts as it is being made. Low tech or high tech, what ever will keep it out of your lungs, and from spreading around the work space or home space.

In earlier posts on the forum, there are images of work stations that are in closets, or compactly fitted into an otherwise functioning room in their houses. Many, many carvers work this way.

Best luck with moving forward with your carving!

Janel

I would add more lights, more electrical outlets and a different dust collection system. (I use my shop vac). Finally, I would not let my shop get so CLUTTERED. I work in many different skill sets, using varied media. I build furniture, carve gunstocks, carve in the round and relief, make knives, build boats and musical instruments. I have allowed my shop to become cluttered with the many different tools, woods, and just "stuff" I don't want to toss.

And maybe I wouldn''t store my motorcycles in my workshop. LOL, too much "stuff".

Thanks to everyone for the great responses.

I believe I'll have to wait to do any rewiring unfortunately. Renting limits the amount of rebuilding one can do...

At this point i don't care what or where I carve. A butterknife and a carrot...my thumbnail and a soft stick of butter. I just need to carve!!!

I'll post pics when I do...

• 3 years later...

Lights lights and more lights! Started on my kitchen table and I have had studios from a dirt floored basement, tiny pump house, a tiny 1937 road maintenance trailer and then a ten sided log building that was 24 feet across. I always wished that I had better lighting.

As some of you know I am almost done with my dream studio. As I designed it I decided to put the same type track lighting that you see at most jewelry trade shows, the bulbs are as near natural sunlight that I have ever seen, are only 12 volt and do not put out much heat more than about twelve inches away from the bulbs.

I have attached an image of the track lights on the ceiling of the studio so you can see what I mean, if anyone wants more information I will gladly post what I know. I have been purchasing this type track lighting because of trade shows for over fifteen years and think I have the best source to purchase them.

If you have yet to see my new studio it is at this link http://www.lopacki.com/studio/

All my best ........... Danny

P.S. I agree with JP above regarding the outlets, have eight on each wall of the new studio!

WOW

Archived