2011 Jade Carving Symposium

Shane

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Shane for posting this! I am really looking forward to this event. It will be amazing to see how each carver treats the same piece (almost) of Jade. Basically, anything goes. It will be a great learning experience.

Janal, you had a comment about an international carving symposium in Costa Rica a few years back, and wondering how we could all get together Maybe something like this.

post-2-0-83629400-1299945492.jpg

Hi Brian,

That is long enough ago that I do not recall that about Costa Rica. I have enjoyed the fantasy of meeting everyone, somewhere, sometime, but through private conversations with some, it was apparent that international travel would not be possible for some of the members.

For media specific carvers, the Jade Symposium idea is a great idea for jade carvers. The nature of the greater membership of The Carving Path who have diverse interests and use varied carving materials makes such an idea less cohesive or succinct. If media specific groups want to organize something similar within TCP, and members other than myself want to be the leader, write to me privately.

The Carving Path forum itself is already a gathering place for all of its members to post images of what they do, and to communicate with one another. The time limited challenge does not exist here, nor does the constraint of a singular material.

I do look forward to seeing what results from the Jade Symposium challenge.

Janel

I will do Janel. I am very excited to see the variety of artistic expression. I think that the less experienced carvers participating will be able to learn much from seeing what the experts have done with, basically, the same stone. I am hoping it will demonstrate the possibilities by minimizing the effect of the actual material. Having a good and well used forum would add alot to the overall experience. I have a little facebook group up and running that is seeing lots of interest, and already finding out how much time is needed to organize and administrate these endeavours, as im sure you are well aware of. I appreciate you support.

Brian

• 1 month later...

Brian,

It seems to me that you may have bitten off more than you can chew. I was interested in joining in the symposium and had some qusetions that I emailed to you about one week ago ........... Still no answer.

You have some pretty good coverage regarding this symposium (Rock & Gem) in it it talks about your forum ....... Well I went to the forum page ..... Nothing.

If this is going to kick off on June first I'd reccomend that you follow through a little better than you are now. If you'd answered my simple questions you would most likely have another person in the compettion.

All my best .......... Danny

Hey Danny,

I am sorry to keep you waiting. You are right, I have a huge mouthful...but I am still chewing : ) I won't bore you with excuses.

I made the posting with R&G months ago, when conceptualizing the website. In the end i chose to use facebook, please visit a group there called jade symposium:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_179970445380757&id=192474604130341#!/home.php?sk=group_179970445380757&ap=1

there has been outstanding participation.

Thank you identifying this lack of flow, I will adjust the website for better redirection. I am wading through emails and will get back to you personally very soon Danny. I thank you for your interest.

kind regards,

Brian

Archived