Sign in to follow this  
Janel

Earthquake And Tsunami In Japan

An 8.9 earthquake, the largest in Japan's history, occurred off the northeast coast of Honshu, Japan. Honshu is the main island. The damage is extensive.

The Pacific Rim is on alert for the tsunami, or tidal wave arrival.

Thoughts and prayers to friends and families are ongoing.

KOMADA Makiko, daughter of netsuke carver KOMADA Ryushi, has responded to my email saying that her family is okay. Many smaller aftershocks are occurring every ten minutes or so. They were not involved in the tsunami.

Janel

A friend has told me that a group of netsuke carvers from the Tokyo area are proceeding on a planned trip to Kyoto tomorrow(Sat.11th) to visit the Kyoto Seishu Netsuke Museum. So it sounds as though at least most of our friends in that group are OK.

Jim

Thank you for that information Jim. Makiko has written that most of the people in the netsuke community are away from seriously affected areas.

We will remain hopeful that this continues to be so.

Janel

Indirectly, the earthquake and tsunami have prompted me to finally join TCP after years of lurking. I'm not sure if this thread is the best place to post this, but perhaps someone who is reading may be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a good friend who I have lost touch with in Japan - netsuke carver Hideaki Tokita :

Nippon-Kichi - Tokita Hideaki

We were classmates in 2000 and became close friends. After a few years exploring jade, bone and stone carving in NZ, Hideaki began carving netsuke just before he returned to Japan. He would stay with me on visits to NZ over the years but I haven't heard from him in quite some time (maybe 3-4 years?). I do know he travelled often and lived short-term in different parts of Japan but mostly lived in or returned to the Tokyo area. He also spent some time researching the areas in Japan where jade can be found. I have no reason to suspect anything bad, but recent events have me a little worried as I don't know where he is these days and would really like to make contact again. Hopefully someone in the netsuke community may know where he is? I will also post this on the INS forums when I get time.

Thanks - Rhys

I don't think he has been in touch with anyone in Grey for a while Jas...Sharon is in Wellington these days too after leaving the Poly. I used to get regular updates (and pics) but he dropped off the radar a couple of years ago. Anyway, Janel has been in touch again (and has my heartfelt gratitude) and it sounds like it won't be long before I get some news about Hideaki. Many thanks!

Well, I finally heard back and my friend is OK and well away from the area of concern (and a Dad too!)

Janel - many thanks again for all your help , it is greatly appreciated, as are the efforts of those in Japan who made enquiries on my behalf.