Joey G.

Bone Carving

I enjoy carving wood, but one downfall can be the grain. I have a few ideas and I just don't think they can be drawn out of wood the way I want. I enjoy using hand tools over power tools. Can you carve bone with knife and chisel? Can someone point me in the right direction? I would like to give it a try as long as I don't have to buy a lot of specialized tools. Thanks

You could get yourself going with a coping saw, files, gravers and some sandpaper. You could invest in a cheap rotary tool such as a dremel to make life a little easier too. Stephen Myhre's Bone Carving book covers a lot of the basic tools to get you started in carving bone. Hope this helps.

Billy.

Normal knives and chisels are too soft for bone. You can use them, but prepare for a lot of sharpening.

I make both for bonecarving from needle files, trying to avoid Chinese ones. Chainsaw files are perfect. There are threads in this forum on just that, by the way, complete with photos.

And as Billy pointed out, Stephen Myrhe's book is a real treasure in this respect.

Thanks, I have a dremel, I guess I will invest in a few bits. I found some video on youtube last night and got a general idea of what to do. I now need to find a bone supply. It seems that going to the butcher is the easiest option. Although I am not sure how my wife will feel about me boiling a big old bone on the stove. I will search the forum over the next few days on how to prepare bone and try to gather up some tools. I don't want to use the needle files I have for wood. I am sure I remember seeing a cheap set at Home Depot. They most likely won't last long, but they should give me a idea if I like the feel of bone or not. Thanks again for the help

Hello Joey,

I used to go to the butcher and buy shank bones, freeze them, scrape off the meat, excavate the marrow and boil them. Quite a stinky ordeal. Now I go to Petco and but pre-cleaned and sterilized cattle bone. No muss. No fuss. No smell. It's the only way to go...

Hi Joey,

About preparing the bone....you will find good advice on TCP and about buying them, this is absolutely NOT the way to go, they use so much bleach and chemical, and it's completely impersonal....

I would advice you to prepare it yourself, but that's only my idea about it. It just seems to me like the preparation of the material you will work with, on the energy level, is quite important.

Take care

Christophe

i would agree with christophe. prepping the bone yourself makes it much more personal. takes ages but when your dont with cleaning and carving its your work all the way. i perfere to do it that way myself. so there is my two cents

daniel