Owl In Progress

Mark Strom

This started out as a exploration for a larger piece but it turned out far better than I expected. Carved from Balsa wood and is 6"tall x 2 1/2" square. I bleached the wood so the form would be more pronounced. Most likely I will just rub it down real hard with a nylon rag to polish it and to let some of the color from the natural wood peek through.

Any and all comments welcome.

post-727-0-40560200-1302136462.jpg

Hello Mark!

It is good to see work by you again! Thank you for posting. If you had not described the dimension as a 2 .5 x 2.5 square, I would have though it was larger. Do you think that because of this that the larger version should work well if you did carve the larger one?

What else have you been carving?

Janel

Evening Janel,

To tell the truth I am now thinking about doing a series of small owls in the same material. I polished this one with a nylon rag and it really gave it a nice look so I will post a finished picture soon. The material works fast, easy and is a lot of fun and I think galleries would appreciate the smaller size and price.

I am about to finish the 4' x 8'panel for the St. Paul Brain Injury unit. Six months out of last year were a total loss due to family issues so that panel had a major delay. I will be through carving it this week and start with the finishing next week. It is supposed to be in Minn. around the 18th of April. If it is alright with you I will post a picture of the finished piece.

Archived