Cleaning Bones

Daniel B.

hey bone carvers i heard from a guy that using kerosene works better than using hot water and bleach along with soap. i havent tried it yet but i was wondering has anyone else heard of this and or tried it? to me it seams like there would be some draw backs from using something flamable.

if you have any other strange ways to clean bones let me know.

cheers!

Hi Daniel,

Never heard about kerosene, but try to think about how nice the old antiques bone carvings are looking, and now try to think if they had kerosene or even bleach.....you got the idea.....my advice, and it's only my advice, stick to the good cleaning of the bone with time and sharp knife and time ;) then use hot water and bleach in very small quantities if you really want to use it or you can swap for white vinegar.

Hope this is of any help

Take care

Christophe

Hi Dan,

By now, I hope that you have had a chance to check out some of the threads on bone carving and bone preparation. There is lots of good information and ideas in them.

I like the following quote from Toothy who is a TCP member from South Africa (click here to go the Bone Carving Thread):

My bone has always been ex soup and then ex dog and then ex a few days in the garden

In this environmentally friendly era it is called "repurposing". This may explain why Kerosene and other organic solvents are not commonly used to degrease bone.

However, if you are inclined, please try the kerosene method on a scrap piece of bone and post the results for other bone carvers to read.

Have fun carving.

I have come across a rather intriguing piece of info on a completely unrelated forum (a bagpipe one)

Someone asked about filling porous antler. Well, the info said this: soak some polystyrene in acetone, which will totally dissolve it. (I know petrol (gasoline) will, too.) Then sink the antler piece (also works with bone) into the solution. Leave the antler/bone in it till bubbles stop emerging. Pull out and dry.

What it is supposed to achieve is filling the tiny pores. It apparently also adds a slight yellowish tinge to the surface, resulting in what is compared with ivory-like appearance. Large pores are not supposed to be present, so don't try to make a really porous piece of antler into a piece of ivory.

I wonder if anyone here ever tried it, or heard about it?

Hi Yuri,

Never heard about this technique, so never tried it, but here's my thought about it, why would anyone would like to fill the pores of a natural material with some plastic?!?!?!?

I also came across a guy on U-tube who carves plastic and add tiny razor blade cutting to the surface to make it look like bone?!?!?!?

I mean why not trying to keep things natural and I don't belive that plastic exists in nature......Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but all this so-called techniques which are based on chemical.....I just don't like them...

Christophe

The technique comes from a professional restorer (apparently well-regarded one). He needs to match materials he uses to already existing ones, and ivory is less and less PC these days. (That's Politically Correct, not Personal Computer.) Carving plastic and scoring it to resemble bone strikes me as bizarre, too. Bone after all is still acceptable, unless you happen to be a militant vegan.

stuff the vegans. we are bone carvers. its in our nature to use the materials that has been given us. i think i will try a few different types of cleaning. im getting paid soon so going to get heaps of material to use. and i'll post it on here as soon as i get the results.

the funny thing my grand father gave me some immitaion ivory and i think i might use it as a display thing. i dont really like the way it carves. and it smells funny. but such is life. thanks for the imputs. you'll hear from me soonish

Archived