A Collection Of Miniature Knives

Robert Mayo

Hello, Bob ...

Wow ... those miniature knives are something else! Is there a 'standard' scale these are more often made to, than not? Most seem similar in size to the reference quarter.

I especially like the 'bird knife' .. (standard size knife off your site). Do you harden the knifes after the shaping and handle carving (I have done zero metal work in the last 25+ years), or are you able to do the reduction in the stock as you get it, and finish as needed?

Thanks,

DEnnis

Hello, Bob ...

Wow ... those miniature knives are something else! Is there a 'standard' scale these are more often made to, than not? Most seem similar in size to the reference quarter.

I especially like the 'bird knife' .. (standard size knife off your site). Do you harden the knifes after the shaping and handle carving (I have done zero metal work in the last 25+ years), or are you able to do the reduction in the stock as you get it, and finish as needed?

Thanks,

DEnnis

Hi Dennis

I don't think there is a standard scale for miniatures some people do scale them as replicas to larger knives but it seems to me that most folks just try to make them as small as they can.

The bird knife was heat treated after it was carved and ground the steel was annealed when i got it.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on the minis and the kind words!

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the link to your site. The miniature knife collection is quite a joy to look through. The collector must have endless fun with helping it to grow! I also have enjoyed seeing you in the snow with fire from the forge nearby.

Janel

Archived