Sign in to follow this  
Janel

New Work Posted

Hi,

It has been a while since I posted new work. Here are four pieces that were completed this year.

Running Rabbit: Mountain Mahogany, Eye Inlay: African Blackwood

460.jpg

Tree Frog in the Grapevines: Boxwood, Stand: Walnut

461.jpg

Talisman Netsuke for 2011: Boxwood, Eye Inlay: African Blackwood

463_1_w.jpg

Spring Song: Boxwood

464springsong_front_2_w.jpg 464springsong_back_w.jpg

Really nice to see your new work. It looks like there has been an evolution into a new style...I like it a great deal. I like the complexity and the variation in technique for the relief work. It really adds life and dimension...it also shows a certain maturity I cannot explain. You have been busy and it shows...I hope all stays well and you can continue to produce more beautiful work...I know it feeds the soul!

Mark

hi Janel your work is very beautiful i really like the rabbit and the Spring Song carving

all my best gus :)

Janel:

Lovely, lovely pieces. I like all of them, especially the talisman and spring song. The combination of relief and intaglio carving of the tree frog in grapevine is particularly intriguing. I remember seeing similar traits in your pottery pieces, just not so advanced as this.

You have to be very proud of all these pieces. Wonderful work, as always.

Debbie K

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. I took a different approach with each piece, which offers variety to my experience while working. As I work in each style, I learn more.

I want to mention about the vase form which was turned on a lathe. The design was taken directly from the drawing that was used on one of my carved porcelain boxes decades ago. I don't have a digital image of it, sorry. It is the first one in what I imagine will be a series of blending old designs, or an old shallow-relief carving style, with turned forms. This one excised the pattern into the background, leaving the turned surface intact where it was not carved. Another approach will be to entirely carve the surface, and another will be to carve an un-patterned or lightly patterned background into the background to contrast with the raised relief carved surface. This last concept will not be as sculptural as the Spring Song netsuke, more shallowly carved, though on second thought, it could be.

The beauty of wood vs porcelain with celadon glaze, is that with porcelain and glaze the more sculptural carving was not enhanced by glazing in my opinion. With wood there is no need for glaze or for controlling how it flows. In the kiln, when the glaze melts, it flows. On lidded boxes, it flowed into the deeper parts of the carving and caused a variation in the intensity of the color, with pleasing results on the horizontal surfaces. On 3-D surfaces of small sculptural pieces, the glaze was a shiny coating and was simply not right for the sculptural quality, light and shadow, etc. So I am intrigued by the prospect of getting better at using the lathe to then create forms for carving upon.

Now, on with my day and find some hours at the carving bench!

Janel

Hi Janel,

It's nice to see your work as always - beautiful pieces. I like the vase very much - it reminded me of your porcelains also (I'm glad to see those designs coming through in your present work). I love the Spring Song - interesting overall shape to this one. Thank you so much for your sharing.

Best wishes,

~Magnus~

Dear Janel !

Wonderful work, I very like the "spring song" composition :)

What a beautyful piece and perfect to the actual spring-time here

with all the blossoms around us!

Thank You !!!

Cornel