Sign in to follow this  
Russ_B

Chrysoprase Face

Hi

I just finished a small face in Chrysoprase for a silversmith friend. The face is just under 22 mm and is 20.1 carats.

The stone is nice and gemmy with good translucency, black dendrite in the forehead and right eye don't take away from the carving. The picture is not too good, the colour is somewhere between the 2 pictures.

Russ

post-1953-0-81119000-1305938228.jpg

post-1953-0-71021300-1305938245.jpg

Hi Russ,

thanks for sharing these pictures. This is a nice face with, I guess, great light play. I just think that you should maybe add some finishing on the surfaces, for example we still see tools marks on the upper lip.

This is not to criticize and I would even not be able to do half of the work you achieved, but just felt sad to see such potential wonderful piece of work being just "very nice".

Thomas

Thanks for the comments. I will have to get stronger glasses or start using the camera to check the pieces. Maybe I will do both. I always see more faults and areas with grinding marks after I take pictures. What method are you using to check your piece before progressing to the next grit size?

Hi Russ,

I am not fond of finishing but have the "chance" to be strongly myopic and usually just remove my glasses and have a very close look at the piece I work on. Else, a side light should work as well. The difficulty I see here is that your stone is translucent and using side light may reveal "false shadows".

I guess the best way is, as you said, to keep using your camera or a big magnifying glass.

Good luck!

Thomas

Hi Russ and Tom, the best way to make sure you sand all areas of a translucent stone is to cover it with black permanent marker, let this dry then begin sanding...you will soon see the areas that need work as the pen goes into all the 'nooks and crannies' don't stop until all the black is gone! :blink: Cheers, Jason

To all (Russ, Thomas and Jason):

Just make sure that the permanent marker doesn't permanently mark the piece. This technique works well for some quartz, agate and lots of hard transparent stones, but can soak in on others. Do a test first to make sure this isn't happening on this particular stone (say on the back). I have some chrysoprase that has almost microscopic inclusions and the marker will soak into cracks and holes like these and be extremely difficult to get rid of. I used this technique once on jade and found to my dismay that it had soaked into the stone.

Sometimes the pressure while sanding is enough to remove the marker but not the scratches, I find it best to use it as an aid to remember that this place needs more work.

Good luck and hope you are all doing well.

Debbie K