Nother Newbie From New Zealand

Baz

post-2930-0-75206700-1306222852.jpgHi all - been lurking in the background for a while drooling over some of the work that's been posted by others

Finally decided to bite the bullet , register and show where I am at the moment.

Started off playing round with beef bone just to see what I could and couldn't' do.

Photo one was just seeing where the bone would let me go.

Photo two was an idea which went wrong (for the start anyway)

Photo three got a wee bit more intricate .

Photo four proves that there is no such thing as left over pieces of bone!

Photo four, one of my Grand daughters loved so much I made it into a brooch for her (This was another mistake,

was trying to do a double twist, dropped it and it broke - s after playing around with it for a while this is what eventuated)

My wife, who is Maori told me that the bone will always tell me what to do.

(After making a guitar from Kauri, I should have known)

Anyway I'm looking forward to ALL comments and criticisms

Cheers

Barry

PS - Just previewed the post and discovered I can't rearrange the photos - maybe next time

post-2930-0-59849700-1306222765.jpg

post-2930-0-42358500-1306222786.jpg

post-2930-0-38264500-1306222801.jpg

post-2930-0-07434900-1306222819.jpg

HI, Barry ...

Nice to see you here ... and will be fun to watch your progress, and projects!

Which is the more natural color of the bone you are working with ? The lighter color (sorry .. can't seen which picture it is, right now) .. or the darker, more 'brown' photos?

I used to poo-poo 'artsie-craftsie folks' that said they listen to the material, or just start carving to find what is 'hidden' in the material. But .. buy golly ... that's the way it is! I'm a believer now! I am sure, some of it is looking at your material, and seeing what might 'fit' in it, or match the texture, but I do believe the material 'speaks' to you, on multiple levels as you work on it.

Best of luck!

Dennis

HI, Barry ...

Nice to see you here ... and will be fun to watch your progress, and projects!

Which is the more natural color of the bone you are working with ? The lighter color (sorry .. can't seen which picture it is, right now) .. or the darker, more 'brown' photos?

I used to poo-poo 'artsie-craftsie folks' that said they listen to the material, or just start carving to find what is 'hidden' in the material. But .. buy golly ... that's the way it is! I'm a believer now! I am sure, some of it is looking at your material, and seeing what might 'fit' in it, or match the texture, but I do believe the material 'speaks' to you, on multiple levels as you work on it.

Best of luck!

Dennis

Thanks for your kind words Dennis, I don't treat my bone at all so I think the colour depends on how long you leave it before starting work.

Tried bleaching, but had no luck at all so gave that up as a bad job.

I have sketched out some ideas on the bone before I start, but, due to slips of the hand or whatever, I have never so far had one finish up the way I wanted it to.

Divine intervention? or the bone telling me "I don't like this, do it another way"

You tell me.

Cheers

Barry

Hi Baz. Welcome to the forum. Pretty cool designs happening there bro. Good luck with the development.

As far as listening to the material, Leonardo De Vinci once said, 'Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art'.

All the best, Billy.

Hi Baz. Welcome to the forum. Pretty cool designs happening there bro. Good luck with the development.

As far as listening to the material, Leonardo De Vinci once said, 'Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art'.

All the best, Billy.

Thanks for that mate - I have to say your work is what really made up my mind to join.

I do have one question though.

At present I am using rotary tools, various files and sandpaper. My polishing consists of initial rubbing with an old towel

and then just keeping the piece in my pocket rubbing between thumb and fingers while reading or watching the idiot box (we do have to

relax sometime).

I am thinking very seriously of using some Xacto modelling knives I have and carving in the general sense of the word

What do you guys use for finishing?

Is there some magic polishing paste etc I could be using.

Cheers

Barry

Cheers bro. After initial shaping with tools and 120 grit, I finish with 320 and 600. If I want a matt finish I'll do another round with 800, but for a sheen I'll finish on 600 and polish on a muslin clothe on my bench grinder. I have a white polishing compound that I dress the wheel with. Not sure what the name is but any white compound from a jewelers supply would do the trick. Be careful on a wheel though, if it catches the grabs your carving, it can be heart breaking. There can be some residue left after polishing so I use a toothpick to clean it out. Feel free to ask anything bro. Good luck.

Cheers bro. After initial shaping with tools and 120 grit, I finish with 320 and 600. If I want a matt finish I'll do another round with 800, but for a sheen I'll finish on 600 and polish on a muslin clothe on my bench grinder. I have a white polishing compound that I dress the wheel with. Not sure what the name is but any white compound from a jewelers supply would do the trick. Be careful on a wheel though, if it catches the grabs your carving, it can be heart breaking. There can be some residue left after polishing so I use a toothpick to clean it out. Feel free to ask anything bro. Good luck.

Cheers Billy - I'll give it a go

You on facebook Baz. Plenty of bone carvers to network with there too. I can suggest the carvers if we hook up.

Cheers b.

On facebook I'm Gareth Barlow, not my nickname 'Billy' :o)

Yep I am - I signed up with carvers in Exile (mainly just to see what others are doing) - I'm Barry Reid

• 2 weeks later...

Archived