Work In Progress

Been working on this for a couple days now. Here is the initial design research and then a picture after about 12 hours of work. The dark square behind the raven was taped off and airbrushed with a stain. Trying to do a three dimensional graphic design style carving. Just a new experiment going in a new direction.

I will be posting the step by step on my blog for those of you who are interested, just go to the website below.

All comments are welcome

Mark

www.stromcarver.com

post-727-0-11650400-1307409849.jpg

post-727-0-73868100-1307409872.jpg

Hi Mark,

I like where this is going. The juxtaposition of the organic form of the raven against the rectangles and shading is a strong and intriguing contrast. Are we looking at a single piece of wood with the background and the raven? At first I thought that you had carved into the background and then sprayed the shading, but I think that is not so.

Thank you for including the image of planning process with study photos, drawings and the carving preparation. I look forward to seeing the finished piece.

Janel

Thanks Natasha! Janel, it is one piece of wood. I routed down the background around the raven, sanded, then taped off the rectangle and then sprayed the stain.

My approach to carving is changing with experiments with finishes, presentation and carving subjects. After a great deal of experiments I finally got to a frame I like. I switched to shellac as a base finish followed by waxes, not only for a more natural look but to cut down on fumes and spraying (maybe save my lungs a little). The subject matter has been narrowed to a smaller group and the presentation of the subject is being refined. I am really putting a lot more thought and study into not only what I carve but what my intent is. Hopefully this will give my carvings the maturity I am looking for.

Mark

Archived