New To Bone Carving

Carl L.

Hello all at The Carving Path,

My name is Carl L. and I am new to the art of bone carving. I have always loved the traditional looking maori bone hooks that you see so commonly in Hawaii, and recently decided that I wanted to try to carve one for myself. I looked at a bunch of different styles then just got some material and started trying to emulate what I saw. I got through the first one ok, and learned a little bit about working with the bone. I have made two hooks so far, and didn't think about the lashings until after I had finished. I am currently searching for good advice on how to tie one of the more common ways of doing it. I just ordered a copy of Stephen Myhre's book and am trying to wait patiently for it. I used a cordless dremel tool and got some shed deer antler as a medium. I look forward to talking with, and getting to know and learn from the members of The Carving Path. Here are pictures of the two hooks that I finished so far.

post-2943-0-17460400-1307615723.jpg post-2943-0-08890800-1307615947.jpg

Hi Carl.

Good start. I love working bone myself. I have a few years under my belt and are happy to answer any questions you may have. I too learnt a lot from Stephen's book. As I'm sure you will too.

Cheers. Billy.

Archived