Can Anybody Advise Re Bone Carving Please?

Baz

Hi all

This is my second posting and for this one I decided to stick to my Xacto knives and sandpaper.

I'm quite pleased with the result - so far - but would like a bit of advice please.

(the photos don't do the shine justice though)

1 - Can someone tell me the best way to polish the groove without taking too much material off?

2 - Being a Pakeha I'm not sure what the correct term is but my Maori wife says it looks like a Heru (Comb for holding the male topknot in place)

I'm inclined to agree, but personally I feel there are not enough tines.

We have tried it out, but due to it's small size (85mm) it keeps falling out.

Would a few more tine help?

I eagerly await any comments from all you carvers out there.

Cheers

Barry

(PS the back is not yet finished)

post-2930-0-34063600-1307682369.jpg

post-2930-0-89859600-1307682396.jpg

post-2930-0-30722300-1307682420.jpg

Hi Baz! A nice piece!

I use different sandpapers for polishing, the final polishing I do with #1500, #2000, #2500, #3000 - they almost don't take material off. Then I wash my work with tooth-brush and alcohol mixed with water (50\50), rub it with a cotton cloth while it is wet. After drying I use paraffin dissolved in White Spirite, cover the surface with this mix, wait a bit then rub with clear cloth, paraffin closes all tiny pores of bone and will save bone, You'll get the shining result. Good luck! :)

Hi Baz! A nice piece!

I use different sandpapers for polishing, the final polishing I do with #1500, #2000, #2500, #3000 - they almost don't take material off. Then I wash my work with tooth-brush and alcohol mixed with water (50\50), rub it with a cotton cloth while it is wet. After drying I use paraffin dissolved in White Spirite, cover the surface with this mix, wait a bit then rub with clear cloth, paraffin closes all tiny pores of bone and will save bone, You'll get the shining result. Good luck! :)

Thanks Natasha - for your compliments and "recipe" - I'll give it a try when I feel it is really finished

Traditional Heru would consist of 6 or more tines. They would usually be 4-5mm wide and perhaps 2mm in between each tine. The heru itself were usually quite large, about 4 - 6 inches long and 2 or more inches wide. I like this piece, as a contemporary take on a Heru. Perhaps made into a pendant. I can't imagine this working as a Heru normally would. Nice work all the same. b

For your groove. For me, once I get any tool marks out with 180-320 grit, I'll finish with a 600-800 grit for a smooth finish, and this takes little off the piece. For a sheen I'll polish on a soft muslin wheel on my bench grinder with a touch of white polishing compound. Always be very careful on the wheel. It can grab the piece if done on the wrong angle. Good luck.

Thanks Guys & Guyesses for all your comments - I'll post another couple of pictures when it is finished.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the lighting right so the amount of polish I manage to achieve shows up clearer.

Baz

Archived