Beef Bone Preparation

Baz

I haven't tried this yet but can't see any reason why it wouldn't work :rolleyes:

I was watching a cooking programme tonight where the Chef was preparing beef bone marrow for smoking - (don't ask me how it would taste, I don't like it anyway)

Apparently, after scraping all the meat etc. from the outside, the bone was submerged in lightly salted water overnight.

The marrow could then be simply pushed out with the fingers!! :mellow:

Looked like the water may have to be changed a few times but I will be trying it next time I get a bone :unsure:

When I was in Wellington a few years ago one of the abbatoirs used to sell prepard beef bone for carvers.

It had been top and tailed and then split in half (they seemed to have read Stephen Mhyres's book as they followed his illustrations) still had the meat and gristle attached and the marrow inside was usually very fresh so the marow was nearly liquid tends to set harder when itis older.

don't know if they still do this but was a great time saver.

Back in the UK the local butcher will top and tail but as he only uses a giant hacksaw I had to invest in a hobby band saw which is good for splitting.

Soaking in hot salt water/boiling in detergent/using washing soda or other alkali all seem to help cleanse the bone and make scraping the periosteum and remaing meat much easier. Some peple advocate leaving it in a compost heap for some time and I have even seen ant hills recommended!

If you can avoid the big bump where the main muscles attach to the top of the tibia all the better as it is very tough to clean and does not give good bone.

Some people like to bleach the bone to make it whiter I prefer the natural slightly creamy colour and some of the flecks left in the bone can add character!

Sandy

• 4 weeks later...

Heck that place in Wellington sounds great Sandy. Back when I was carving professionally I searched all over the Waikato and BOP looking for a good steady source of bone and the best I could find was the local rendering/tallow plant where I was allowed to get all the tibia bones I wanted. I had a big bandsaw at home to cut the ends and split them and when I'd done that I returned the waste bits back to the plant, so I didn't actually take much in quantity. A competitor I knew had a standing order with a meat processor in Rotorua for all the tibia bones they could supply - usually 100-120 per week, with the ends cut off of course.

I was always on the lookout for the biggest bones I could find and sometimes at the plant I could tell the abbatoir had processed a herd of older fresian bulls as the bones were bigger than usual.

Yeah I used to hear all sorts of stories about people doing things to bones to get them 'different' from normal, but I was making so many carvings I didn't have the time. I just stripped all the marrow off them and soaked them overnight in a large bucket of mildly hot water with a half cup of bleach and some Cussons morning fresh dishwashing liquid squirted in too. In the morning I'd strip off the flesh and give them another scrub in warm water with more dishwashing liquid and dry them off in the sun. If I wanted to store them at all I'd cut off any bits with oil in them as otherwise the oil would seep through to the rest of the bone.

Yeah. Taylor Preston in Ngauranga does that. I got onto them just last month. They supplied the bone for me cut and cleaned. Just had to do a quick scrap then a soak. Typical though, I've only just found them and now I'm off to Sydney to live. I'm sure I can sweet talk someone else to help me out. But yes, there are abattoirs around that will do that.

Yeah. Taylor Preston in Ngauranga does that. I got onto them just last month. They supplied the bone for me cut and cleaned. Just had to do a quick scrap then a soak. Typical though, I've only just found them and now I'm off to Sydney to live. I'm sure I can sweet talk someone else to help me out. But yes, there are abattoirs around that will do that.

Archived