robert weinstock

bartender's knife

Hi Bob and welcome. That's a cool project. Did you file the screw? And what material is the screw? Did you make everything except forge the steel?

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. :unsure:

Hi Robert,

Nice work!

I do not know much about metals or knifemaking. How did you work the metal to make it look carved? That is not quite the right way to ask, but is the design carved into the metal and how did you do that? (I guess the answer, if you are willing to share, should go in the Techniques topic. :unsure: )

It is good to see your work.

Janel

Hi Bob and welcome. That's a cool project. Did you file the screw? And what material is the screw? Did you make everything except forge the steel?

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.     :)

Hi Jim, Thanks. The screw is filed- first by hand, to lay it out, and then on my lathe to get it fully shaped. The screw, and everything else is damascus made by Ed Schempp. Yes I did all the work besides forging the steel.

Hi Robert,

Nice work!

I do not know much about metals or knifemaking.  How did you work the metal to make it look carved?  That is not quite the right way to ask, but is the design carved into the metal and how did you do that?  (I guess the answer, if you are willing to share, should go in the Techniques topic.  :)  )

It is good to see your work.

Janel

Hi Janel, Thank you. I learned to do the carving long before I ever made a knife. I was a die maker in a jewelery factory for 17 years. The technique is fairly involved, but basically, it's done like you would carve wood or any other material. The rough work is done with chisels (Iused to use a hammer, now I use a reciprocating hand piece) The more refined work is done with gravers (engraving tools). The finish is done with a hammer and punches to produce a texture, and also to refine the surface.