What's new?

Janel

Hi all. We are experiencing a quiet time, one must assume that we are all hard at work at our benches! Here is the place to share a snapshot of your work in situ on your bench! (hand at forehead, shading eyes, while looking into the distance to search for carvers hard at work or play smiliie)

Janel

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mmm. ;) since I don't have a digital camera (always have to borrow the one from work and that gets sticky), would it help if I just verbally showed what I'm working on?

It's a little tableau of the old Jack and the Beanstalk story, featuring a cowbell and three beans; one of which has a leafy vine growing out of it, up and around the bell.

I might inlay the beans with colored spots to make them more 'magical'

After that, I'm inspired by the real-life Beanstalk I have growing in my backyard in the form of pumpkin vines. I'd like to do a manju-type piece contrasting the smoothness of the squash with the roughness of leaves and vine. Something relatively large and heavy in the hand.

-Doug

Hi, all;

My report must be verbal as well, due also to lack of digital equipment. Right now I'm working on a brooch, of bone, designed as two polar bears. One is behind the other, resting his head on his partner's back. I plan to work it very smooth, highly polished, sort of in the Inuit style. It's about 2 1/2 inches long, 1 1/2 high.

I have also started another pin, in antler, of an elf's face peering out of a tangle of leaves. I like these ones because I can use the outside edges of the antler slice in designing the interior.

Sitting on the bench, waiting for me to figure out the proportions of the head, is a wolf carved from a whole deer antler. I have flipped it upside down so that the tines become the legs, and the main branch of the antler is the body. It makes for a stylized piece, very fluid. In the past I have carved these with a lot of detail in the fur; this time I think I will go with a bit less detail, and a lot more polish. I have been inspired by Shane Wilson's handling of fur in his beautiful carvings. He's a sometime visitor to the forum. and his website is worth a visit.

Cheers,

Lana

ps: I like the sound of the pumpkin leaf carving, Doug. I think the contrast between the rough leaf and the smooth fruit will be striking.

Here I am yesterday working on a pair of bronze portraits. The base form is blueboard styrofoam insulation glued together and carved with a hot wire. The entire form will be covered with a wax based clay. Total weight of each should be about fifty pounds. Makes it easy to take them to the foundry when the sculpting is finished.

Don, that microscope looks great to work with. Sergey, What is on the inside of the dust collector? Must be hot market for grey t-shirts.

Dick

post-15-1124222012.jpg

My turn! Finish sanding and scrutiny with the piece in hand. I tried a quick image of the piece when it was done, but the wood is not photogenic, at least for the quick worktable setup used with white paper.

atwork_w.jpg

The piece is macassar ebony, subjects are dead wood treated sculpturally, and a moth. Tomorrow, on to completing the dragon fly piece.

Janel

• 2 months later...

Oh, its a quite time again,

I surely miss you.

Won't you try to post a picture

Now and then?

The Carving Path is looking for your new work,

to be posted here

for all of us to see.

Some sort of tune could be rambling around in your head when you read the above message, I can't remember the name of it, something like "Its crying time again..." but I'm not crying. I just miss the bit of effort it takes for each of us to keep this place interesting, and alive as a place for the exchange of knowledge.

I've not been able to carve for a while, keeping overly busy with everything else about life as a self employed person with a family. So, you don't get to see what I've been up to. Soon, the updates for my web site and for a potter's group will be accomplished, and then on to the carving bench. I'll let you know when ...

Please do take the bait and feel encouraged to participate here again. I've been wondering how the weather is in the north part of the northern hemisphere, and how it might help or hinder your work flow. It is spring in New Zealand (and the rest of the souther hemisphere), reports a carving friend from there.

What a great tool the internet is, for carvers from around the world to share knowledge and experience with each other! I am continually amazed with what we can do with the flutter of fingers on a plank of keys which are connected to a bit of wire! In moments, someone on the other side of the world can share a thought with someone else!

Warmest regards,

Janel

Nice cup, Jim. Not your usual style of work, but that coffee looks almost real...

Here's my latest efforts - I've been learning to forge steel. My wife now curses the likes of Don Fogg and Rik Palm - they've been bad influences on me. This little knife is the remaining nub of an old file I'm making another knife from. The nub was lying on the floor calling to me, so I diverted a bit. It's pyrographed unstained boxwood with an oil finish, 3 1/2 inches overall length.

post-11-1131408247.jpg

Archived