Diamond Polish Vs. Paste

Jay Brewer

Hi there , I am new to the Carving Path and already have met a few very helpful members , thanks to those of you who have directed me here. I carve stone on a large scale (70lbs and up) and currently use a series of diamond polishing pads (wet and dry) from 50 thru 5000 to achieve a polished finish. I will soon be working on a much smaller scale ranging from pendants to table top decor however I need to now more about using diamond powders/pastes and what the difference is between them two and whether or not to use the powders/paste with water /oil etc etc etc. I have absolutely no experience with the powders or pastes but would love to learn how. I work with very dense stone and would like to know if these powders/pastes are decent for roughing or just polishing. Any and all ideas and responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Jay:

Alot of the pastes have a colorant in them which can stain softer stones, so I avoid them. Often they are specifically made for faceters who work with clear stones. Since you're working with a black stone, that might not be an issue.

The pastes are used on a faceter's flat lap with copper or hard stone (like corian) wheels with a water drip. I don't know how they'd work with small wheels on a Dremel with water or oil. Maybe someone will jump in with advice, like Danny, who knows just about everything there is to know about polishing.

The powders are used with oil. The powders aren't great for roughing out, the diamond burs work alot better. I find that I personally prefer the cheap diamond burs to the sintered burs, they work faster while they still have grit on them. Just a personal preference, one that might not be shared by anyone else. I found that the Dremel brand burs cost a little more than the really cheap ones, and last a long time. The problem with them is that they're a little small.

Debbie K

Debbie , Thanks again for coming to the rescue. I agree with using burrs for roughing and yes the dremel brand burr's are quite costly and wear faster then the sintered. I like sintered by preference but agree that the cheaper burrs work well and are just a fraction of the cost of sintered. So here I am just trying to get as much info I can before going out and buying something that wont work for me. BTW , I love your creations , they are wonderful. Thanks for sharing that with me. I will post pics soon. I recently ordered a few burr's from Lopaki in hopes they will work well on this stone.

Archived