Sign in to follow this  
Janel

New Territory

This one was considered experimental until it started to look like it was going to work. The wood is Sugar Maple, a faster growing maple where I live, that is not the best for either turning or carving, but it was fairly willing to submit to my tools if I kept them sharp. I forgot to write the measurements on my detail card that I brought to the computer, but it is around 3 inches in diameter.

35-11_w.jpg

Thank you Debbie and Jason,

I measured and the diameter from across the fins is 2" or about 5 cm.

I am having fun with a new one, and will post photos after it is done. It is black walnut wood, and I think that I might have some reaction to the dust so I wear a face mask and use the bench dust collector while working. The first moments at the lathe without a mask with the black walnut gave my nose and back of throat a curious sensation, so on went the face mask to filter the air even though the ceiling filtration unit was running. But, I am closer to the wood on the lathe than the wood is to the fan. And, when the fan is running, I wear ear plugs because of the constant loud sound it makes, so there is no auditory pleasure from turning the wood :(, which is frustrating to me. I would like to enjoy the sound of the wood and work, but I prefer more to be able to breathe, and to hear, in the future decades then suffer the consequences of breathing wood dust.

Janel

Good morning Janel !

What a beautyful carved case.....and inside the turning work....Superb idea !

I like it very much, its rather inspiring !!

Be careful with the dust......

Cornel

Hello Cornel!

The black walnut piece is finished and is waiting for photos to be taken. I will post them when that is available. So far, no problems with the dust. I was very cautious. It was not easy to wear a face mask under the plastic face shield in the 95°F weather with the very high heat index and humidity, but it was necessary. Even with the hand work and sanding, while sitting next to the bench top dust collector I wore a mask. I really look forward to breathing for the rest of my life! :)

What a beautiful summer!

31-11_w.jpg

Turned and carved Nicandra Pod container.

Two sources of black walnut. The lid is more red than the container.

2.9 x 3.0 inches

7.3 x 7.7 cm