Greetings From The Scottish Borders

Lise Bratton

Hello

I came across an excellent article on the internet about oil gilding and found your site. I thought I'd introduce myself and my husband, Graeme Murray. We work together. Graeme and I both studied art (back in the dark ages). Graeme ran art galleries in Edinburgh for many years (Graeme Murray Gallery and The Fruitmarket Gallery). I worked with him on various publishing projects in both galleries and for the last 8 or so years, we have gone back to making our own work. Graeme is a director of Real Wood Studios (www.realwoodstudios.com) which is a hub for people working in wood, primarily furniture using Scottish wood. We are working together to make new works - not small at this point, except for our models. Graeme is the real maker and we design together with me finishing the works. Through this, as well as trying to develop skills in finishing, I have become interested in carving. I have found a teacher in Edinburgh who is teaching me letter carving. Roger Hall is an excellent letter carver and an inspiration. So, I am just beginning to carve and have SO far to go. This website seems a great place to go for ideas and inspiration. Many thanks. I'll attach a few pictures of our joint works (I trust I've figured out how to do that OK) and look forward to seeing what you're all doing.

post-3001-0-14195600-1313092005.jpg

post-3001-0-26141900-1313091913.jpg

post-3001-0-11423100-1313091970.jpg

post-3001-0-71233000-1313091987.jpg

Hello Lise,

Welcome to the Carving Path, the furniture's on your website (and posted here) look pretty nice! You seem to be people who really love their job and do ti well.

Looking forward to see some additional pictures of your work.

Thomas (from a country not so far).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived