Plam Engraver

richard westerfield

I don't know anyone who has made one on their own.

Are you getting results with hammer and chisel?

An air-assist tool is not essential to engrave.

Jim

hi jim

i had a stroke and can only use my left arm that is why i want to make a palm engraver to buy one would cost me to much money

i think i can make one a hep of a lot cheper

thank you

Richard Westerfield

hi jim

i had a stroke and can only use my left arm that is why i want to make a palm engraver to buy one would cost me to much money

i think i can make one a hep of a lot cheper

thank you

Richard Westerfield

Sorry Richard. I didn't know you only had use of one arm. Brian Marshall has limited use of one arm and teaches engraving. He may have some ideas for you.

Here is his website: ENGRAVING SCHOOL There is a phone# there too.

Good luck,

Jim

Sorry Richard. I didn't know you only had use of one arm. Brian Marshall has limited use of one arm and teaches engraving. He may have some ideas for you.

Here is his website: ENGRAVING SCHOOL There is a phone# there too.

Good luck,

Jim

thank you jim

i phoned him there was just the tape saying call later so i will

thank you

Richard Westerfield

Sorry to hear about your physical limitations,but unless you are a master machinist going to be a difficult project. If you can use your feet I would suggest a Lindsay Artisan with foot control air graver a very reasonable price. If you decide to prusue engraving contact me by email Lengraver@aol.com and I can provide more info on other tooling. Good luck

I built a air assist graver from scratch and I'm also a fellow single hander. It's not an easy task. I have access to air chisels and rivet guns I could take apart and study. In the end you'll spend your time as a tool developer rather than learning engraving. And your tool will probably still have some teething issues. I'll use it to hog out steel but all in all I've come to prefer the peacefulness of push graving.

Jim Kelso has the best advice, you don't need power for engraving. I've been using push gravers for all my work for the last year or so. It's best to start in softer metals like copper as it carves really nice with a few push gravers. Search my post for push graved examples.

Here's a good link to get you started. http://www.thecarvingpath.net/forum/index.php?/topic/35-gravers/page__hl__dowel+graver

Nickels also carve nicely. Pound them out with a ball peen hammer to make pendants. Good luck and have fun.

John

I built a air assist graver from scratch and I'm also a fellow single hander. It's not an easy task. I have access to air chisels and rivet guns I could take apart and study. In the end you'll spend your time as a tool developer rather than learning engraving. And your tool will probably still have some teething issues. I'll use it to hog out steel but all in all I've come to prefer the peacefulness of push graving.

Jim Kelso has the best advice, you don't need power for engraving. I've been using push gravers for all my work for the last year or so. It's best to start in softer metals like copper as it carves really nice with a few push gravers. Search my post for push graved examples.

Here's a good link to get you started. http://www.thecarvingpath.net/forum/index.php?/topic/35-gravers/page__hl__dowel+graver

Nickels also carve nicely. Pound them out with a ball peen hammer to make pendants. Good luck and have fun.

John

john i can not use a hammer

• 2 weeks later...

>john i can not use a hammer

Nor can I. I'm missing my right arm. I wiggle the graver through the metal with one hand.

Here is a link to some of my wiggle/pushed graved work. No hammer, no air tool.

http://www.engravingforum.com/album.php?albumid=215

This picture shows a couple of my homemade tools.

http://www.engravingforum.com/album.php?albumid=215&pictureid=3578

Pretty much everything in the album is pushed/wiggled graved. I avoided learning to engrave for 15 years because I mistakingly thought I needed to use a hammer with the chisel. Any questions are welcome.

John

>john i can not use a hammer

Nor can I. I'm missing my right arm. I wiggle the graver through the metal with one hand.

Here is a link to some of my wiggle/pushed graved work. No hammer, no air tool.

http://www.engravingforum.com/album.php?albumid=215

This picture shows a couple of my homemade tools.

http://www.engravingforum.com/album.php?albumid=215&pictureid=3578

Pretty much everything in the album is pushed/wiggled graved. I avoided learning to engrave for 15 years because I mistakingly thought I needed to use a hammer with the chisel. Any questions are welcome.

John

thank you i did not know about the wiggle/push untill now i am going to give it a try .

thank you

Richard Westerfield

• 4 months later...

hi

here is my 2 try at makeing a air engraver there is a lot more work to be done on it i think i have the starting from 0 to what ever speed it will hold.it so simple i think a lot of makers will say way didnt i think of that. but wate a minute i might be puting the cart before the horse like i said i have a lot more work to do .so wate untill i get this up and runing.i am also working on another one all together deffreant .i hope this works out for me

thanks for your ear

RAichard Westerfied

DSCF0183-1.jpg

i am not done with it and i do not know what i will do .sell it or post it for every one to see its is still not done a little more work to be done i will let youes know what i will do with it till then i will not give any information out on the engraver hope you under stand

who knows this one might not run right hope not

thanks for the interest

Richard Westerfield

• 1 year later...

Archived