Latest Project - As Yet Unfinished.

Don Barnhill

Started this project about two months ago. But so much has happened I haven't had a chance to finish it. Just so you'll know. I had a hip replacement on April 26, was doing better than the Doc expected and then came the Staff infection. Went into the hospital on July 27, had three surgeries, one on the hip to remove the metal hip and clean the infection, two on my lower back where the infection had spread to. I came home on Aug 25 after 29 days in the hospital. Doing as well as can be expected. Don't have a hip joint yet, the Doc put in a spacer filled with antibiotics. In early October they will check for signs of infection and if I have none they will schedule another hip.

This is probsbly the most beautiful blade I have ever seen.

post-921-0-45457000-1314808189.jpg

Cheers Don, Hope you are soon up and "dancing". From the little I could see of your Knife handle, it looks as if a Deer antler is going to be used.

I recently made a faux stone blade with an antler handle and it worked OK (as far as I could tell not having seen any before). I have hopes of

making another with an antler handle but will scrimshaw it. I'll drop a pic up when it's completed. Take care...Colin

Don:

So sorry to hear about the problems you've been having. Hope that the antibiotics work for you soon, my husband had something similar and it took a couple of differnt courses of antibiotics before the infection began to clear. You're a brave man to go ahead with the other surgery, but it sounds like you don't have much choic.

You're right, absolutely beautiful piece of steel. Looking forward to seeing it complete.

Debbie K

Hi Don,

It is good to hear from you again. What a way to spend your days of summer, in the hospital with such a big worry! I am glad that you are home and we hope on the mend. Good wishes to you for fighting the infection and a return to having your hip replacement completed.

Janel

Thanks to all for the kind words. I'm taking it one day at the time.

Colin, you are correct, the handle is deer antler and I usually carve a mountain man's face on the crown. Haven't gotten well enough to try to make it to my workshop yet. You may want to check out this website. I get all my antler from these people. http://www.hideandfur.com/

Archived