Hook Line And Sinker

michael B

Thomas m, yes your right, the picture is not so good, a friend is taking some pics for me today, will post when he,s done, this nephrite is a pleasure to work with, I don,t think it is pure felted actinolite, contains hornblende, some jades look better with a lower polish, but this material has no patterning, also known as absolute black jade.

cheers michael B

Debbie, a good friend is currently working on some good pics for me, should have these by Saturday, really enjoy carving this material, it comes from Geraldton Western Australia, my final polish was on 50k diamond.

I went fossicing again last Saturday to a new location, old Chrysoprase mine, found some good colors, emerald green, blue, white, brown, also fossilized dinosaur droppings, looking for a blue green nephrite deposit that was worked in 1968, very steep terrain.

Cheers michael B

Thanks John, this carving came straight from my mind to the stone, I did not draw a template before starting, most of my good shapes happen like this, when I find a good designs I do make templates, currently starting a carving out of Australian Imperial rhodonite, very translucent and good red color, I will take photos of all the carving and polishing stages and post these, I have been carving for about 3 years, I consider myself a beginner at carving, I love carving gemstone.

Cheers michael B

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Cat

I wear most of my carvings, when I can get them of my wife, jade carving can become addictive, designing new shapes and styles is a challenge, this black material can be faceted, they sell it as nephrite but the % is very low, mostly hornblende.

Cheers Michael :)

• 4 weeks later...

My first fish hook carving, Western Australian black nephrite jade, this jade takes the highest polish of any Australian jade.

Cheers michael B :rolleyes:

Good job on the carving. I just love the black jades. If you get a chance try some wyoming black jade great stone to work. I got my hands on a 5lb block not that long ago. off ebay

Cheers Terry

Archived