Hello From Jersey Of The Cost Of France

Graham A

post-2891-0-46476600-1315565707.jpgHello My name is Graham

I am 48 and I live in Jersey the channel islands just of the cost of France

I have lived hear most of my live though I was born in Guernsey one of the other islands.

I have always like working with my hands.

I first took up carving about 25 years ago just as a hobby . I have no

training in art only the talent i was born with I was put off all those

years back by not being able to get the right materials and the time to be

able to keep the momentum of the carving going.

Now I find the time and the resources with the Internet to get on with my

hobby, I don't carve netsukes but try to keep them as small as possible I

carve what ever takes my fancy. Some times it what I have seen from

pictures of the Internet or maybe idea my children may have. I use boxwood,moose

antler, mammoth tusk .ox bone camel bone.

I have been carving for the last 18 months have finished 12 carvings I

hope that as I go on with my hobby I get better, for the first year I had trouble

trying to my detail as small as possible but with not knowing how to make

the small scrapers that the netsuke carvers had I was stumped, Now thanks to

Internet and books and other netsuke carver the light has come on ..

Hear are a couple of picture

regards G

post-2891-0-11829200-1315565739.jpg

post-2891-0-62867300-1315565755.jpg

post-2891-0-68829000-1315565769.jpg

post-2891-0-87838000-1315565785.jpg

post-2891-0-48115300-1315565832.jpg

post-2891-0-32245100-1315565849.jpg

Hello Graham and welcome here!!!

You are right, time is our worst enemy when we try to spend some for our passions.

I never desperate to one day, manage to get my hands back on the tools as well! How lucky you are.wink.gif

You did very nice carvings from "Alice au pays des merveilles", so cartoonish. What are they made from, which tools did you use? I especially love the boothouse.

Cheers,

Thomas

PS: Tu parles vraisemblablement français aussi, je te souhaites la bienvenue dans ma langue maternelle alors!

Hello Graham and welcome here!!!

You are right, time is our worst enemy when we try to spend some for our passions.

I never desperate to one day, manage to get my hands back on the tools as well! How lucky you are.wink.gif

You did very nice carvings from "Alice au pays des merveilles", so cartoonish. What are they made from, which tools did you use? I especially love the boothouse.

Cheers,

Thomas

PS: Tu parles vraisemblablement français aussi, je te souhaites la bienvenue dans ma langue maternelle alors!

Thanks for the reply Thomas

The Boothouse is from boxwod and the others are from mose antler , I make most of my own tools now as i need the to be very small

PS Non désolé je Thomes ne parlent français, je ne thouhgh essayer très dur quand je suis en France

Hello, Graham ...

Nice to meet you! Your carvings are very cute, but also show much skill! You did a great job! I have not been able to get my hands on any moose antler yet ... it is usually quite expensive. From what I have seen .. much of the antler itself .. at least the 'paddles', is very coarse. Do you carve yours from the piece closest to the 'crown', or base of the antler?

Best regards... keep up the good work!

Dennis

Hi Danny

Thanks for the reply have a few more of that sort of carving in the wings will show pictures when finished, My children love them as well.

Hello Dennis

Thanks for looking . The antler i use is from Russia from this web site My link i was given the address bye Natasha and have had no problems with anything i have ordered apart from the time it takes to get to me. I can use all the antler as it is very hard right through " I did pick the antler that said was good for carving and heavy from the site " to the tines

There is a web site from Scotland That is very good for antler that i also use it is also hard right through. If you would like the address let me know

Best regards to you both G

post-2891-0-32988300-1315644019.jpg

post-2891-0-04527100-1315644044.jpg

post-2891-0-27294800-1315644054.jpg

Archived