Odin & Raven

Robert Palmer

Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting images. They could be a bit bigger, if that is the size issue you referred to. I deleted the other topic since it was virtually empty and was a duplicate of this one.

You have quite a lot of elements carved into this small piece, with open space, movement and detail. I like that the braid makes a return, directing the viewer back into the piece.

You have sort of made a netsuke with it, since there is clearly a hole that a cord could go through. I see a different place that could be a natural himotoshi, or cord hole, formed by the existing structure of the subjects. The knot hole would be at the back end of the crow's wing, the cord then running under the wing and exiting between the wing and the mustache, hair or neck of the crow. The placement would/should offer the netsuke a non-dangley way for it to rest against the obi/kimono location when used as a netsuke. There may also be a spot of it on the underside, but I cannot see that. Actually, that side would be a good spot to create the himotoshi, from the flowing beard hair (as I imagine it.)

Janel

I like this very much. The compact form is very pleasing and I like the way you incorporated the raven into the head. How did you apply the wax?

Bryan

Thank you Bryan, The wax I used is a detail wax used for cars. I simply rubbed it onto the surface after 2 coats of Tung Oil had been rubbed in & dried. Robert P.

This is lovely. I wish I had this sort of skill. Excellent work.

Thanks for your kind comment John. Desire to create is the first step in the journey of becoming a artist/craftsman. Time will past whether we use it or not, so why not use it to create. Life is an adventure, your art should be to.

It's beautiful, I too love the way you've incorporated the pair.

I'm a complete novice so please excuse the silly question but what material is it carved in?

Sharry, I am happy that you enjoyed my attempt. Sorry I did not answer sooner but I have been meeting with a Dragon which because of my promise to myself that each new piece will be an improvement over the last requires much thinking before cutting. Boxwood is a hardwood in every sense of the word Hard. Wonderful material for results given (effort) I am attempting to live up to my end of the bargain. Thank you for looking & comenting

Archived