Vagina Plate

Guest katfen

Hi All,

I got back some reasonable shots of this piece, so thought I'd post them.  This piece is slightly spalted sugar maple.  Size is 12 1/2" x 6 1/2" x 4".  Yes, it's a vagina...my take on it in this piece anyway.  :D  :lol:  :lol:  :D

Kathleen  :D

Hi Kathleen

For some reason I was thinking of Scallops! ;)

Was the timber hard to work?

Best wishes

Mike

Hi Kath,

Sorry for the lack of response, my computer is crashing and I have been limping along all weekend. The hard drive is dying slowly but surely.

I suppose the title is the controversial part of this piece, though I can't see the subject in the object. I must be getting old. When you first posted your avatar, I was tempted to respond, but let it pass.

We are all fond of our genitals I suppose, but it wouldn't be appropriate for a man to be so public about his. Don't get me wrong, I don't find your use of it offensive as much as curious. It leads me to ask the obvious, what are you saying? I am woefully retro and do come from Puritan stock so I admit to not being aware of any social commentary or vagina dialogs that might support this public openess. Anyway, that is my honest response to it and freely admit to being out of touch.

As a sculpture, I like the way it flows, the sensual quality, the contrasts between the textures.

I really like it! It seems like such a tactile piece- a jungle-gym for our fingers. :lol: There's a lot of variation of form and surface handling there. Subject-wise? Doesn't really bother me- I think you've distanced the form enough from the literal that it stands on its own as a sculptural piece, not just there for shock value. I get the feeling you choose your subject matter not really for shock value anyway- they're just interesting shapes and forms worth exploring- in a formal way. That's my take on it anyway... :lol:

Great work on the sanding,polishing and finishing. Care to elaborate on what finish, if any, you used.

Hi Kath, I can see what it is if I squint, but if you hadn't told me, I would have thought it was just a sensuous beautiful peice of sculpture (which is a good thing). I sometimes do sculptures that resmble antomical parts or wholes myself, but I don't usually identify them. I leave that up to the observer. How large is the peice? Thanks for sharing. Bob

Kath, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I spend way too much time alone and often am too blunt in public, but the subject seemed to be asking for the dialog.

I have learned from this piece already, now I wish I could experience it. I met a marble sculptor one time whose pieces had to be touched. They weren't representation, but definitely sensual.

You are fortunate to be able to stir and handle controversy, in my area I find that the doors are shut. There is no dialog, we have just been banned. Censorship in all forms is simply sad.

Again, thanks for the thread. I am learning. :lol:

In response to both Kath and Don,

I think it's good to shock people now and again. Some people need to be shocked to open them up to different points of view. If a viewer of this peice, on seeing it for the first time is attracted to it for it's beauty and sensuousness, without realising what it is, and them finds out that it's a vagina, well, maybe they wont be so turned off. And if they're still turned off, that's their loss.

I get that censorship thing all the time, even from members of my own family. "what's a good jewish boy like you doing making knives?" is something I've heard from family members, although it was in jest. I've heard more damning words from others. I've thought about doing some of the craft shows, but Jim Kelso suggested I bring something besides knives. People just seem to close up when they hear the word knife. What can we do. I'm thinking of branching out myself. Bob

Yay Kath.... What an inviting sensual form, tactile qualities calling to be experienced.

The sensitive use of wood imparts a wonderful richness for the eye let alone the physical pull to feel and caress this media.

Any offence taken is in the eye of the beholder only and that in itself is a fantsatic revealing of the observer themselves. Enriching the overall experience of the piece even more.

Emotions stirred by experiencing potent art reveal us to ourselves. Form is repeated time and again in nature, and to recognise and emulate in honor an aestheticly, beautiful form also extends the same honor to us as visionaries and artists, regardless of anothers perceptions.

Way to go Kathleen..................... more?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived