Celtic Dragon Welsh Lovespoon

Whimsical Wood

This is a Welsh Lovespoon that I have recently completed. It is carved from saffron heart an extremely hard timber from Queensland Australia. The spoon features a celtic style dragon joining the chain link to the bowl of the spoon as is traditional with Welsh lovespoons it is carved from a single piece of timber. The spoon is nine inches long.

post-2493-0-94258600-1316848715.jpg

post-2493-0-75551600-1316848771.jpg

post-2493-0-77155800-1316848800.jpg

post-2493-0-06994800-1316848897.jpg

post-2493-0-10817000-1316848962.jpg

Wow! Beautiful carving, beautiful wood and beautiful finish. That wood almost looks like bone in it's ability to hold sharp detail. The only wood I've ever carved that looks that dense was maple (not for the faint of heart or impatient).

Really good work. Thanks for posting.

Debbie K

This is a Welsh Lovespoon that I have recently completed. It is carved from saffron heart an extremely hard timber from Queensland Australia. The spoon features a celtic style dragon joining the chain link to the bowl of the spoon as is traditional with Welsh lovespoons it is carved from a single piece of timber. The spoon is nine inches long.

Excellent work, your attention to detail is inspiring. What did you finish your Spoon in ?? Thank you for posting. R.P.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. Robert, the finish is thinned polyurethane wiped on and 'wiped' off with a tooth brush dusted a little with rottenstone. Finally it was polished with a product called 'EEE Wax' which is a wax with tripoli powder included. The polyurethane is barely there in the end and I think any oil would do to darken and bring out the colour of the timber. The polishing effects of the rottenstone and wax seem to contribute most to the amount of sheen obtainable which is fairly easy to control. What I like about this process is it can be completed in one careful, strenuous and relatively short session and that it results in a polishing rather than a coating of the timber.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived