Where To Find Gray/silver Gray Colored Wood For Carving?

He Li

Believe it or not, I sometime think the patina gray of aged wood are pretty and I think the color and texture should look great for small and large carvings if properly designed. I am wondering whether there are any types of fine and hard wood that has a natural gray/silver gray color?

He Li I have been looking for years for such a wood. Many years ago I used some veneer that was gray Harewood. It turns out that it is dyed Sycamore. I agree that a gray wood could be very beautiful but have not found it yet. I also once had some beautiful fossil ivory that was smokey gray but have not seen any since. Please let us know if you are successful!

Jim

Buckeye burl is sometimes gray but also can be many odd colors. Doing an image search I found this beautiful example:

BUCKEYE VESSEL

It's on the same lines as usual tropical hardwoods like ebony, blackwood and such.

I have to say, the colour, while grey, is on the darker side, so it isn't like weathered wood left out in the rain. It's more on the grayish-black side.

A friend, who is a wood turner, from around the San Francisco area gave me a branch from a persimmon tree that is gray, not evenly gray though.

The tray is persimmon: http://janeljacobson.com/carvings/419.html

Again, the tray is persimmon: http://janeljacobson.com/carvings/406.html

This wood is actually quite hard. I have not tried to carve it with details, just these two trays.

Janel

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, there is a way of chemically greying wood. If you put into an airtight container a little pottle of liquid ammonia (the houshold variety), and the wood you wish to grey, it will do juat that with a lot of timbers. As far as I understand it, the wood needs to have some tannin in it, but most woods do.

• 2 months later...

Believe it or not, I sometime think the patina gray of aged wood are pretty and I think the color and texture should look great for small and large carvings if properly designed. I am wondering whether there are any types of fine and hard wood that has a natural gray/silver gray color?

It is easy to turn woods that contains tannin to gray. Even Basswood can be grayed.

There is a home brewed chemical solution you can brush onto the wood surface. The secret formula is vinegar and steel wool. Iron reacts with the tannin turning the wood grey or even close to black if there is enough tannin in the wood.

In a plastic or glass container, do not use a metal container, put some white vinegar. Into that shred a pad of very fine steel wool or toss in some rusty nails. Let brew overnight, test on a scrap of wood. If not strong enough let it brew another day. If too strong dilute with water. Strain into a plastic bottle for storage. For the first month open the cap now and again so it can release the gases the mixture creates. This solution will keep for years.

Archived