just a little shaving

Guest ford hallam

Guest ford hallam

Morning all,

It`s a dull, damp day here in Blighty, Oh yeah! it`s summer. :lol:

I`ve long been a fan of Japanese woodwork tools ( no suprise there ) and particularly appreciate the great skill master woodworkers display using these relatively simple tools.

I`ve been dabbling with hand planes of late and finally feel I`m getting to understand the subtleties of using these lovely tools. ;) I`ve just been polish planing a piece of black cherry wood and have been happily :lol: peeling off the most delicate and gossamer like wisps of material. I don`t even want to call them wood shavings, they are more like tissue. Below is an image I took of a particularly pretty piece, it`s about 1 inch long, the wood surface below is as planed.

Ford

Planing with such sharp tools and tissue-thin shavings is a great way to gain a new perspective on woods isn't it? At this thinness we see cell structue and pores and other 'micro' characteristics that make every wood type unique.

Technical question- what sort of angle is your blade set at?

Guest ford hallam

Hi Doug,

the blade is bedded in the block at 42%, I want to make a block to take a blade at 28%, that should really slice those little cells cleanly. :lol: You`re absolutely right about learning about wood this way. I particularly enjoy using metal, which I understand, to delve into another medium like wood. In a sense the interaction of the two highlights their individual characteristics.

cheers, Ford

Archived