G'day Mate!

Pete D

The greeting says it all.

Yes, I'm from downunder and have just discovered this excellent forum.

My area of interest is with stones, both precious and semi-precious, and anything to do with them.

I love to create intarisa works and carve. I also cab and facet stone but find this much less creative.

Seeing some of the carvings posted on this website or the links given has inspired me to attempt some very different ideas.

I have pictures of some of my work on a Facebook Page called 'Oz Intarsia' (Personally I don't like facebook but just haven't had the chance to create anything more).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know more people through forum posts.

Pete D

G'morning Pete,

Welcome to the forum. I'm a newcomer here and a newbie to carving too. This site has proven way above my expectation thus far already simply because the really high quality shown by some incredible artists, and the impetus it creates to get ones act together to do (or at least to try) to get to that level of excellence.

Greetings from Hong Kong, Kurt

Greetings from Hong Kong, Kurt

Thanks Kurt.

I noticed some of your fire agate carvings and they look great. I've never touched the material, let alone seen it at any gemshow, here in Oz so I'd love to get my hands on some and give it a go.

Pete

Some say, its one of the hardest materials to work on. Try windowed pieces first before going into proper rough (that will at least allow you to have some ideas towards your targeted end-piece)!

But I say, its an excellent material to practice and get a feel for your tools and your eyes (LOL).

I started cabbing only this year, so I'm still feeling my way to a favorite material, but carving will be eventually be the thing that I really want to get into. It's just, I don't have the patience and confidence yet to get into the required minute details that are needed to produce something with maximum visual appeal. Seeing the master-carvers here at the forum and the at times very frank evaluations, generates just the drive that I think, we stranglers need to catch up to at least some of them eventually.

Greetings, Kurt

A couple of carvings I tried recently were based on heraldic shields and carved on clear quartz and agate.

The agate is about 20mm x 15mm and has shield carved on the face and the clear quartz is 23 x 14 cabachon face with lion carved in reverse on the back. I'd forgotten to reverse the direction of the lion when carving from the back so apparently it's not a Scottish shield anymore but English (or something like that!).

They were a test for the eyes and a tool fine enough to carve with but now the real test is my ability to photograph them. I just got some close-up attachments for the camera so will try to find the time to give them a go then post some pics.

Thanks guys

Pete D

Hi Pete.

I've just moved back to Sydney from NZ. I carve bone and stone are once I'm set up I'll be looking at networking other carvers and gem clubs. Not sure when I'll be set up though, could be a while before I have my stone set up again.

Anyway, nice to be in touch.

Billy

Hey Billy

Nice to meet you (figuratively speaking, of course).

What type of stone do you carve?

Unfortunately my local gem club doesn't have any carvers in it although a couple of them had a go at some bone once. I think they were more interested in the stew they made and ate before carving the bone!

Networking via the internet is proving much more valuable.

Archived