New: Carved & Turned

Janel

These are a couple of pieces that I took time to plan and carve on. Most of the other recent work was turned only, since there was limited time for carving while preparing for the next show. Both pieces are from a log of boxwood from Laos that I purchased in the late 1990's.

I chose to use an oil/urethane, semi-gloss as the simple finish because it dried relatively quickly and could be wiped on and off quickly while leaving the surface protected from handling.

This boxwood is a little bit 'open' so is not good for coloring with alcohol or water based thin colorants, the bleeding of the color is heartbreaking. On the apple, the only color that was added were tiny dots on the wings of the Lady Bugs, added after the finish had been applied and dried. The color was raw umber oil paint mixed into some drops of the oil/urethane. After that dried for 24 hours, I lightly brushed oil/urethane onto the bug's wings and left it shiny for contrast with the not so shiny apple.

The third piece was turned from blue oak -Quercus Douglassii, from California. It is a very hard and dense wood, with very interesting visual textures showing on the different faces of the wood. I turned this leaving a lot of wood left to give it weight and for much wood to show itself off. The box was reshaped to make it a rounded rectangular form.

Autumn Apple - Box

44-11cwa_jjacobson.jpg

44-11_2cwa_jjacobson.jpg

44-11_3cwa_jjacobson.jpg

Height x Diameter

2.1 x 2.3 inches

5.4 x 5.9 cm

Acorn Squash - Box

45-11cwa_jjacobson.jpg

45-11_2cwa_jjacobson.jpg

Height x Diameter

1.6 x 1.6 inches

4.0 x 4.1 cm

Blue Oak - Box

42-11_cwa_jjacobson.jpg

Height x Length x Width

1.4 x 2.7 x 2.6 inches

3.6 x 6.9 x 6.6 cm

I am off to do the Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show in Pennsylvania. I will watch the forum but might not have time to take part in the discussions while away.

Smiles to you all,

Janel

I feel the same as Mark. The texture/color of the wood looks very harmony with the overall design. Love them!

Wonderful work Janel. I especially like the delicate nature of the apple. Such clean and refined lines! As usual the craftsmanship is impeccable.

Mark

Thank you very much to all of you for your thoughtful comments.

The first, long and exhausting day of setting up is over, and I am glad to be sitting down. Tomorrow, more, easier work until the evening opening events that start the show work. If anyone is in the Philadelphia area, and you come to the show at the convention center across from Redding Market, be sure to swing by my booth and introduce yourselves.

Thank you again,

Janel

What a day it was yesterday. Both my husband (a potter) and I were showing, and we each have booths with many parts to disassemble and pack. Towards the end of the evening, the wear and tear of the past week had taken its toll. My feet still ache, and going up stairs is even a reminder of 15 hours on my feet each day greeting the great audience that attended the show. Sitting, reclining, being quite all sound very good right now, for maybe a day or two. Just right for the drive home.

The show went well, when considering the years of economic difficulties and the other shows that I have been doing during this time. I continue to remain hopeful.

Now, I want to get back to work. My mind is whirling with possibilities for new investigations and concepts after conversing with other artists.

Janel

We are finally home, returning after visiting with family out east. On the westward journey we stopped to visit our son at his college, and did a pottery demo for his ceramics class students. We also stayed around for the firing of the wood kiln by the students. During that day I made a bunch of mugs and bowls* to contribute towards fundraising activities. The students will glaze, fire and sell them along with their own contributions. One main goal is to raise funds to purchase a pug mill for the ceramics studio. It was a fun day.

*In my early years, before carving as I do now, I was a potter. I have never lost the skill or enjoyment for making pottery.

We left when the autumn was warm and bright, and returned late last night in a snow storm and awoke to a while landscape. What a change! We are glad to be home.

Janel

• 2 weeks later...

Archived