Sperm Whale Tooth

This is my new material, really branching out here! Enormous isn't it?

It feels similar in weight and texture to ceramic. What do you see?

I am nervous to begin work on it, for fear of ruining it, silly me... It is a little bit more diffcult to obtain a tooth however, than bone or antler so maybe my anxiety is warrented ;).

Does anyone have any advice they can share?

Thank you kindly-

Bella

post-3058-0-76793000-1321974665.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Bella ..

(without giving away any improper secrets) .. how do you go about getting such a piece? You are in Ontariao? I have a hard time keeping track of what things can be legally purchased and shipped .. from those that are simply too expensive for me to get! :-)

It seems to scream 'scrimsaw' to me ....

As I have not worked with such a beast ... I have a gazillion questions ... Do you have a shot from the 'gum' / jawbone end? Is it hollow? I wonder if it can be sliced? Is it more like stone (you mentioned weight and texture of ceramic) ... or ivory .. or antler ... or bone?

Thanks for the post!

Dennis

Hello, Bella ..

(without giving away any improper secrets) .. how do you go about getting such a piece? You are in Ontariao? I have a hard time keeping track of what things can be legally purchased and shipped .. from those that are simply too expensive for me to get! :-)

It seems to scream 'scrimsaw' to me ....

As I have not worked with such a beast ... I have a gazillion questions ... Do you have a shot from the 'gum' / jawbone end? Is it hollow? I wonder if it can be sliced? Is it more like stone (you mentioned weight and texture of ceramic) ... or ivory .. or antler ... or bone?

Thanks for the post!

Dennis

Hello Dennis :),

In order to obtain whale ivory from the same distributer that I obtained mine you have to be within Canada because of the restricted trade laws. This doesn't mean you can't obtain alternate sources of ivory that can be shipped across the borders from the same fellow!

That being said, yes, very expensive material indeed! It is hollow only to a certain point, and it can be sliced with the proper tools. When sanding the dust is similar to talcum powder it is very fine, and incredibly smooth. It is also very heavy.

I haven't gotten too far with it yet though, I feel the need to pay this material the most respect possible, so I'm waiting for the right moment ;).

I obtained the ivory from http://www.canadianivory.com/

He has all kinds of goodies! I suggest you take a look!

Best of luck,

Bella

Archived