New Carving

Mark Strom

Just finished this project, carved this in between my other work. The idea was to experiment with finishing in a way that was far outside of my normal manner. I wanted to get the look of a three dimensional painting without having a painted look. There are three different types and colors of stains plus acrylics, lacquer, watercolors, shellac and wax on this carving. There is spray gun work, airbrush, brush and rag work all combined to achieve this look.

The material is basswood measuring 20" x 7". The maximum carving depth is just under 1/8". I was also trying to see just how much dimension I could get with a minimum amount of depth...I am sure to some of you this would be like carving something do a depth of 12". It was a challenge for me with normal size tools and large fields.

Hope you folks like it.

Mark

www.stromcarver.com

post-727-0-23269500-1322958121.jpg

Thanks JJireh for the link, I hope it helps people see the details better. The carving was gone the next day and there was not another chance at photographs.

I appreciate the approval of my efforts. I was worried that I pushed the coloring to close to the "painterly" edge. This is quite a departure for me and truthfully the results caught me off guard...still processing how I feel about it. Don't get me wrong, I am happy and proud of the work but am trying to figure out how to approach the next work along similar lines. Guess I'll just have to dive in and see what comes out.

I switched finishes for a number of reasons and the switch has required learning a great deal of new techniques. At the same time it has opened up a world of new possibilities. This carving was the first cohesive effort combining the new approaches, opportunities and finishes. I can tell the switch was a good one and in some ways wished I would have made it years ago.

Again, thank you all.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Archived