Hardwood Options For Hand Tools

Kaity

Hello All,

I am going to Gilmer wood in a few days to pick up some hardwood for christmas present making and was wondering if you could recommend what I should get? I am trying to decide between French Boxwood and Holly. I am carving miniatures with moderate detail. I would like to be able to do the majority of the work with a knife as I do not own a lot of chisels/gouges yet. Do either of these sound good for knife carving? Does anyone have any other suggestions? All opinions welcomed :-)

Kaity

I do not paint any of my carvings sometime a little stain to show the grain. That said ,both Holly and Box will work for small carvings. Both will hold detail well,, as far as painting,, or how painting holds or works on the woods ,, i can not help you ..... good carving and post some pics of the finished carvings.

Hi Kaity,

I can't tell you about hollywood (was not able to find french translation), but boxwood works well, you can carve small details and the wood fibers won't tear if your knife is not sharp enough or if you go too deep with a wrong angle.

Be careful anyway not to wound yourself, as boxwood generates small shavings your balde can be free a bit earlier than expected while carving.

Hello Kaity,

I hope that you have found the sorts of wood that you hope to carve. How are your carvings going?

When I read and followed the links in your post that led to Steve Tomashek's web site I was pleased to see work by someone whose small carvings have intrigued and delighted me for quite a long time. This person also happens to live within one hour's drive from me, but until today we had never met. On his web site is an announcement that he is moving to Germany very soon. In response to my email message, we made arrangements for him to visit my studio today. We had a delightful visit. He brought along some of his wonderfully carved and painted critters for me to see. They are very easy to fall in love with! He has a great sense of color use and has a knack for carving and painting charming character into each of his pieces. I regret that we had not met personally after years of being familiar with one another's work.

Janel

Archived