Field Mouse

Mark Strom

Here is the latest in my new experiments in finishing. The material is basswood and is roughly 7" x 11". I have been working on getting away from lacquers and stains for awhile now. The reason was for my health, cost for small amounts and to get a clearer and more organic look to my work.

This panel has a number of effects going on. The background is three different shades and types of pigmented stains that are sealed in with shellac. The reeds have a watercolor wash of ochre and transparent white. The leaves were textured with a diamond burr and with the water from the wash the grain raised to give a natural textured look. The mouse was first colored with a light sienna wash and then several glazes made from artist oils were added over that.with some buffing done in between. The final finish is wax made from artist oils and neutral colored wax for more subtle color.

I am basically using an earth palette of color based on the Old Masters. The oils are far cleaner in color and pigment than stains and I am getting a luminosity not possible using traditional wood finishes on such small areas. Hope you like it.

Of course all comments and critiques welcomed.

Mark

www.stromcarver.com

post-727-0-54297600-1325445799.jpg

post-727-0-33133800-1325445817.jpg

Thanks Janel and Dustin. For years all my work was along the same line finish wise...rustic woodland was what I called it. There was a lot of staining and the rustic effects were on the heavy side visually. Great at the time and my clients appreciated it.

I really wanted a change and there were things I just did not want to do anymore. At some point the repetition just kills the creativity, so I started to try different things. Still carving what I am good at just trying to do it in a different way. The colors are due more to the limited palette than anything. Right now my color palette is limited to just 6 colors. Although white is one of them it is not used to soften or create shades. Greys or other colors are made by mixing everything but the white. There has been a great deal of research on colors, techniques, brushes and the components of the colorants being used but I am learning all kinds of things.

I think most importantly I have stepped back from the profit/loss mentality and am willing to take a risk on failure. I am willing to spend time on experimentation and research. It has been a liberating move for me and I think the work reflects that.

Thanks again,

Mark

Archived