Cleaning Fine Files

Tony N

Depending on how fine the files are, I use a stiff nylon bristle nail brush. If less fine I use a brass bristle brush. Just brush gently from side to side up the length of the file. Something like this

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=wire+tool+brush&gs_upl=3519l8604l0l9231l15l14l0l0l0l0l223l2233l1.10.3l14l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1151&bih=823&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18439600166610778256&sa=X&ei=05oMT-3JI4uxhAf6_LmiBA&ved=0CIsBEPICMAU

I found I was using files for rough shaping and vigorous bone removal. So I got courser files to shape only, then shifted to a courser sandpaper to start smoothing. The courser files are easier to clean with a wire brush and retain very little dust.

Hope this helps, Billy.

I was at a wood worker's store today and was reminded of the giant crumbly eraser that is used to clean the belt of a belt sander. Maybe something like that would work for the files. I will be trying it tomorrow (I have one).

Along with files for filing, I use two sided sanding boards (I don't know what to call them) that can be found for fingernail shaping in most fingernail polish sections at stores. Some stores used to carry a variety of grits, but not so much these days.

Janel

Along with files for filing, I use two sided sanding boards (I don't know what to call them) that can be found for fingernail shaping in most fingernail polish sections at stores. Some stores used to carry a variety of grits, but not so much these days.

Emery boards Janel.

Archived