Happy To Be Here.

Todd Miller

Hello, I found your site though a link on Don Fogg's knifemaking forum. I haven't looked at everything but what I have seen I am really impressed with. I make knives and enjoy carving the handles and blades as well. I can see there are a lot of great people and techniques here so I look forward to getting involved. Here are a couple of my fancier knives. I have a website if anyone is interested. www.toddmillerknives.com

Thanks Todd Miller

post-3159-0-51995400-1326690820.jpg

post-3159-0-35998700-1326690836.jpg

Hi Todd,

Welcome on the forum. Nice job with the knives...I also cheked your website.....nice, simple, efficient. My father always tells me that a good woodworker is able to do everything....when I see the quality of your knives...well, I guess I have to agree with my old man...sometimes...;)

By the way, do you forge your own blades?

Anyway, all the best for the futur knives.

Christophe

Thanks for the welcome. Christophe, I do forge my own blades and make the damascus. Thomas yes I guess you could call it a "exploded" feather. It was my first attempt at the pattern and I actually like the more organic look rather that the really tight traditional feather pattern. Of course I could be saying that because I didn't the "perfect" look. <_< But actually I do. And Jim I always look forward to your posts on Bladesmith's Forum, you do some amazing work and I always learn something. Here are a couple close ups.

post-3159-0-93594800-1326731137.jpg

post-3159-0-70104500-1326731169.jpg

post-3159-0-73966400-1326731199.jpg

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your explanations.

So if I understood how you proceed, you forge your original billet with the layers flat as usual. Then flip your billet from a quarter of a complete rotation and forge/flatten it, layers vertically orientated. Once it is done, cut the full bar length into several pieces, put them in stack and weld it? I guess this is the explosion part.

But how about the feather one? How can you bring the exploded layers so intensively down, with a very thick edged chisel, a press?

Sorry for so many questions but I really love the organic look as you mentioned it.

Thomas

PS: Hope my explanation is clear, I already have difficulties to explain explosion in French...so I let you imagine in English for me :D

Thomas, you have the basic idea except there are a few more steps. Like you say you laminate the layers then turn them 90 degrees. Then you hammer it flat with the laminations vertical. This causes them to form C shapes. Then I drew it out to about 25 cm and then cut it into four pieces, these are stacked and with the laminations which are C shaped vertical, they are forge welded and flattened. THis causes the C shapes to become more dramatic. This process is done one or two more times until when viewed from the end they form W's . At this point it welded into a cube shape and split with a wedge. I only have a little hydraulic press and I use a piece of 1 cm thick mild steel which tends to mushroom as shown in the picture. This is what I believe causes the feather to "explode" rather than have the tight more traditional pattern. The more experienced makers usually use a bigger press and a hardened steel wedge. I need to experiment more but my real job gets in the way of making knives. Here are some sort of random pictures of my process. If you want a complete WIP Bruce Bump a master smith in Walla Walla has a great one here. http://KnifeDogs.com/showthread.php?5603-quot-W-quot-s-from-Walla-Walla

post-3159-0-72030500-1326863484.jpg

post-3159-0-75019900-1326863520.jpg

post-3159-0-29802900-1326863582.jpg

post-3159-0-25827500-1326863612.jpg

Archived