Jim Kelso

carvers in hurricane path?

After viewing images of the utter destruction in large areas by Katrina, I'm wondering if any of you have been hard hit. I suppose if the worst happened you would not be reading this.

Guest DFogg

She went over the top of us, but only as a tropical storm. That was scarey enough because this was a huge storm. It left devastation from Texas to Georgia.

We were very fortunate to have had no damage and only lost the power for a day. The poor folks on the gulf coast have experienced tsunami like distruction. I fear this is a disaster that is still unfolding. My heart goes out to those that are still trapped down there.

The storm came through Indianapolis yesterday- It rained quite a bit and the news this morning warned of not coming into contact (ie. by mouth) with river water for three days . Everything's pretty swollen even this far north.

Thomas Mann has a New Orleans, LA address. He was at the show in Evanston, but I did not communicate with him on the last day of the show. I have looked at Mapquest and a Public Healht/US Army Corps of Engineers map http://www.publichealth.hurricane.lsu.edu/...dy%20Areatf.htm

and I think that his address is in an area which 8-16' above sea level, though river/lake and sea levels must be taken into account when determining if that area is wet or not.

It is difficult to put any thoughts into words about the magnitude of situation, though I do hope that those who need help will receive it.

An awesome storm to say the least. Yesterday(Weds) we had oppresive darkness and waves of showers(quite strong later) for about 18 hours in northern Vermont. It's all clearing out now.

Hope Tom is ok.

Guest DFogg

One thing that isn't getting reported is that inland nearly half the state of Mississippi was destroyed by the hurricane. It maintained hurricane force winds for 14 hours after it made landfall. They are without power, in many places the roads are closed, houses destroyed, the infrastructure is in chaos. It is hard to appreciate the magnatude of the destruction from TV.

We are going to have tens of thousands of people homeless for months maybe longer. This is as bad as it gets.

Hi Everyone Yes we were in the path of the hurricane Katrina. We live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Some Of our City got a lot of water, tidal surge. We were in trouble and did lose a lot to her. I lost my studio and most of my tools and supply of wood, and most of the furniture and all of the appliance. We had About 2 to 3 feet of water Just enough to cause a lot of problems. Due to the damage we decided to move. so we sold the house and the Studio.

Now or the good news we are starting all over new. We have moved to a one bed room apt, for now, plan to move further north later, maybe in Al.

I still have most of my carving tools and now I am able to get back to carving. I have been looking at a lot of the netskue carvings and reading on the carving path, getting some good insperations from the sites I have visted. I want to start carving some small carvings. I am one that have lost a lot but I still have a lot. Ed

Firewood Studio

Guest DFogg

Ed,

Consider the Birmingham/Tuscaloosa area. If you get out of the metro area property is very reasonable. It is an artist friendly area and if you look, there are some truly beautiful spots.

Don

Thank you for sharing your news. Having saved at least your carving tools was good foresight on your part. I wish you well with your moves towards resettling.

Janel

This is a photo of a large oak Tree that is 1/2 mile from my apt. It is about 200 feet from the shore. The tidal wave came in at about 20 to 25 feet here. It washed the ground away from the roots of this and many other trees. There are so many trees down or damaged so badly that many have been and many more will be lost. This is the first time posting a picture. I do not have a digital camera and one is far down the list of things to replace. I hope that the picture comes across if it does I will post another to show the size of standing trees.

post-107-1137692944.jpg

Here is a picture of my wife standing at the end of the road that we live on where it meets the beach. Above her is a post that is wedged in the tree. This is the height that one of the waves came in at. The trees are mostly oak and pine. This is about 200 feet to the right of the other picture. There was a house on this property, a good friend of mine. There was a house up of the ground about 300 feet behind where my wife is, that is gone.

post-107-1137694810.jpg