Hawaiian Makau Cord

Brian A.

Hi Brian,

I don't know any suppliers in US, 'coz I'm europe based, but what you are looking for is waxed thread, the brand LINHASITA from Brazil make some very good one in many different colors...hope this help.

And welcome here, btw ;)

Christophe

I checked LINHASITA out and they don't make 2mm thickness.

Thank you for the welcome.

So after doing tons of research I have found what it is. The cord is pretty much made up of waxed polyester, and made into a rope.

The only thing that I need help on is thickness of the lashing area material which is what makes up the necklace cord, what does everyone else use for the lashing part for the bone hooks?

Hi Brian,

When I told you about the linhasita waxed thread (wich is made of polyester btw) it was because that's what I use for lashing the maori style carving. And it is not 2mm thick...You might consider to have a look at S.Myhre book "Bone Carving: A skillbase of techniques and skills" which will give you plenty of information....

Christophe

Hi Brian,

As I recall, you are not the first to be befuddled until the "Ah-Ha!" moment occurs with what you are trying to learn. This forum has had other carvers who have been using S. Myhre's book, and other resources to learn to do the lashing before coming on to the forum. I did the quick search and found some helpful information in the "Archives" of the forum.

Have you tried using the SEARCH function found at the top right of each forum page? Keyword of 'lashing' to begin with brings up lots of topic/post results that brings up at least 26 topics that have 'lashing' as the search word. You may also try other keywords that address the particular inquiry you wish to make.

If you click on the little green square with the little magnifying glass in it, you can refine your search a little bit differently.

The Carving Path has been building a good archive of information since 2005. It takes a bit of time and patience to 'mine' for the particular bits of information. On that exploration journey a lot of reading becomes an education.

Best wishes on your quest!

Janel

I Janel,

Yes I have been using the search function. And I have tried the same "Lashing" search that you suggested. It did bring up some nice information that did help me to what I wanted.

The "rope" pictured is called a Kaula. it isn't braided but plaited and not exactly made like in Myhre's book or with Kumihimo, it is actually made like a normal rope with reverse tension, the old Hawaiians did this long ago and you can still see some of it in their lei making. It is made out of waxed nylon jewelry twine that is ~.03"

Having said that this information wasn't on the forum but the forum did help get me to the right answer. Now I am trying to understand how the kaula is attached to the carving. In Myhre's book he says a pilot hole is drilled and then a slip knot is used and a bead is attached. I understand what he says but not how to do it. When I asked someone just said that he does a good enough explanation, which is not the case in my mind. Searching for this info on the forum has lead me to nothing.

But thanks for your help.

@Christophe you did help a lot when I was looking at the linhasita I came across the jewelry twine....

I know what you mean, it is hard to figure out until you get it. I have not needed to, so I have not figured it out, though I read and re-read it a long while back.

On this topic page, at the bottom on my post, there is a link to a Youtube video that references S Myhre's book. I'll post on that page for you, and will post the link to that topic here:

The topic: Bone Carving - Lashing/Binding

The video:

The video shows where I would assume the hole to be, though the demonstrator has already put a cord into the hole, if there is a hole.

In another topic there is this link with an on line document. You might navigate to pages before and after the one that is linked to for more illustration. This one begins on the previous page showing an attachment to a knob/lump included in the carving for attachment method use.

Elsewhere, Lashing - Myhre book Guardian and Sebastian offer some insight into another method of attachment, and a way to conceal the final end bit of cord. The technique is familiar to me from doing macrame in the 70's.

I apologize that I cannot spend more time reading through the posts and searches to find the nugget of information that I believe might be somewhere in TCP archives that illustrates exactly what you are looking for.

Patience is necessary, and keep trying until enlightenment occurs. It is possible to figure out, eventually. It may be that different pieces need different treatments, and the original carved form might dictate which way the lashing needs to be attached. That suggests even more research, trying to match form with the function of the lashing attachments.

Best wishes to you,

Janel

Archived