Lizard Netsuke

Richard P

I like your lizard very much, but might have liked him better with a lighter stain. I would be pretty happy with myself if I carved him, you should be, too! The only other thing that bothers me a little are his hands and claws. They're not carved with the same sensitivity and attention to detail that the rest was, but I know you were somewhat constrained by the size and material, this is a really small piece.

All in all, really well done.

Debbie K

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lovely piece of work Richard. I'm interested in how to get subtle staining on boxwood both dark and light colouring. I have a large stock of box stored in dry conditions for the last 25 years and i'm just getting round to carving again. It will be interesting to see how you tackle future staining on box and i'll be searching the posts here for hints and tips. It strikes me that the 'finishing' part of a carving is the most difficult and fraught with potential disaster. :)

• 3 months later...

Wow, that is a really lovely little lizard. But I must agree with Debbie, that it's tiny claws do let it down a bit. Besides that all the surface structures and it's head and pose look very well captured. I've never carved box before but it seems to take detail pretty good. And i like the blond color of it. I do understand you died it though. And I agree with Clark, finishing a piece needs just as much attention as the carving itself, cos it can make or brake a piece.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived