Greetings From A Newbie In Tx

Rod L.

Hi Everyone, My name is Rod, and I've been an artist in one medium or another all my life. If you're on Deviantart I'm Anaealrhan, *waves at flintlock privateer, and bonecarverpm* most other places I'm known as the ForestChylde. Anyway, I started carving on deer antler around 20 years ago, after a trip to the ozarks in Arkansas. I found this little shop that had these small wood spirits carved in some type of tree bark, and I thought they were pretty cool, and said I can do that. Since I was infatuated with knives, the Celts, Mountain men and the like, I figured I should work in deer antler, so I went out to my shed and pulled out this rack of deer antlers that was in a box of stuff I bought from the last auction I had been to, and drug out my Dremel tool, and bought me a flex shaft for it, and off I went.I was hooked for a while, and made a little money, but after fighting all the time with my now Ex-Wife, I just didn't have the energy, or creative drive to continue, so I set it all aside, for several years. Time rolls by, and I get a divorce, and am stuck back living with my parent's at 35, and unemployed, and I pick up my Dremel, my old friend, and a bit of Deer antler, and started working on stuff to kill the heartache, and I had somehow made a step forward from the last time I had done a carving, nearly 5 years prior. I thought I was hot stuff. I did a few carvings, and ended up finding a job, and a Historical Re-creational society called the SCA shortly thereafter. and got interested in Jewelry fabrication, great, another creative endeavor that can eat up lots of money. (I've been through several of those over the years.) First person I meat in the SCA is a man named Dennis Peters, who makes jewelry, and does carvings. Turns out to be a really good friend, and teacher. I started learning about Jewelry fabrication, and put my carving on the back burner AGAIN. Then I got married, and kinda put everything on the back burner for a bit, except a little bit of jewelry making. about a year ago, I ended up unemployed and started working on my creative "stuff" again, and started selling a little here and there to help make ends meet.I've been doing alot of carving lately, and yet again the hiatus, has brought a step up in the learning curve. I was really starting to think I was getting good at this, and found a guy on Deviantart named Phillip Montgomery, and said to myself, "I'm not as good as I thought I was, but I will be." and now I've found this wonderful forum. I think that about brings us all up to speed. OMG there are some wonderful artists here. when it comes to carving, I am predominantly self taught. Any advice would be incredibly helpful and appreciated.

post-3191-0-74469700-1328894939.jpg post-3191-0-89178000-1328894959.jpgpost-3191-0-45625600-1328895408.jpgpost-3191-0-72023300-1328895017.jpg

post-3191-0-01694200-1328895004.jpg

"I'm not as good as I thought I was, but I will be."

Well ... I, for one .. fit that bill as well! LOL There is ALWAYS someone out there bigger, better, faster, prettier .. you can just keep adding adjectives, all you want.

You are what you are, and you do what you do, and everyone has something they can teach .. and learn .. from another.

Good work! The best advice, is ti just keep it up! Ohh ... and when working with antler ... good dust extraction and fresh air system is a must!

Best of luck!

Dennis

Thank you Gentlemen, it's great to have found a place with so many wonderful artist, with similar interests to myself. We as carvers of small to tiny pieces are few and far between, even among the the many fine artists that carve. I tip my hat to anyone that has set out upon this path, for their incredible patience. I keep hoping that it will bleed over into other areas of my life.

Aye Dennis, I have been trying to figure that particular area out since the first time I smelled the stink from carving antler, Horn is even worse... heh

I am indeed glad to be here.

Peace,

Rod

There are studio photo topics in the archives, and also dust filtration set-ups pictured as well. There have been some good ideas posted. I've just returned from a very long day and will not take the time to search them out tonight. Maybe you folks can find them, and maybe add your own solutions to the thread.

Janel

Archived