Off On The Wrong Foot.

Rod L.

Greetings to all,

Well I apparently got off on the wrong foot with a couple of comments, so I am here to set things straight. I made a couple of comments of Folk not being very "talkative" around here. This apparently was taken as a negative thing. I will admit that I was a little disappointed at seeing the number of views on my introduction, without so much as a hello, but To be fair, it was only because I am glad to have found this forum, in which so many fine artists, have similar interests with myself. If I have caused offense in anyway, I do apologize, and will keep my thoughts to myself from now on, unless I have something worth voicing. For what it's worth, I am glad to be here, and hope to be able to learn from you all, and advance my own skills, to be worthy of being a part of this fine forum.

I have been told that if I want talkative, I should go to facebook, Twitter, or other such nonsense forums, but THAT will not help me to learn, or to meet others with similar interests in the carving of bone, antler, ivory and the like. So again, if I have caused offense in any way, I am humbly sorry.

I bid you Peace,

Rod

Hello Rod,

Yes, patience helps. Jim is right in describing the forum evolution, yet new members join every week. The information shared by individual members is invaluable as a resource, and continues to grow.

Perhaps one reason for the slower pace is that many of us are busy, and might be carving instead of spending time on the internet (one would hope). For me, I have been helping a family member through a difficult health time, and when I have my own time it is spent catching up on what I need to do, so my TCP time has been focused more on working behind the forum's public face, rather than on communicating and contributing. I do read every post, every day, and interject notes now and then.

Regarding Facebook, I do know that members of TCP use Facebook quite a bit, especially the jade carvers, whose interests sometime/ overlaps with bone carvers. I check in there now and then and see quite a bit of activity. This does not bring the educational help to TCP, thus into the archives for all to turn to, but it is another web location for interaction. I don't exactly know how to point you in the right direction for those folks, I am rather unskilled with Facebook, perhaps someone else can communicate with you about how to connect with your interest group there.

Kindest regards,

Janel

Well done Rod. Thank you for your thoughtful post. I do notice a lot of people say that they 'finally join' after many months of just viewing the pages. You might find a lot of your views were from non-members who frequent the page but rarely participate. That is fine, but the people that do participate often have interesting things to say that are worth listening to.

Nice to have you on board. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Mauriora, Billy.

Thanks for the responses. My wife quite often tells me that my patience outside of my workshop, is rather limited. I guess that once again she was proved right. Since currently I am between jobs, and looking for work, and filling my free time with carving, and spending some time perusing the internet for inspiration, and a minor amount of actually connecting to the outside world, I do tend to forget that other people actually HAVE lives... Heh. anyway. Thanks again for the responses...

Peace,

Rod

I tend to relish my time in the shop ... and time spent elsewhere (including work, sometimes! LOL ) ... I often consider as a 'waste'.

This forum, however, is not. There are SO many inspiring links, photos, conversations, tips, etc .. You will often find great insights and information on seemingly unrelated topics .. so don't leave any forum topic unturned!

Dennis

We're here lurking. It's far easier to find time to read everything than it is to reply. I wish to reply but often don't because it does take directly away from time that could be spent carving.

In the end I really do appreciate when everyone post their latest carvings and enjoy all styles and skill levels. In way I appreciate the new carvers the most because I've seen so many develop into superb carvers after a few years.

I do try and reply anytime I think my input will contribute to the knowledge base.

It's a great forum and I'll always be a member.

John

• 8 months later...

HI guys, I know I was the one that was saying that people weren't too talkative, and then I dropped off the face of the map. I do apologize. Life really took a nasty turn around the end of April. My youngest daughter disappeared and though she showed back up a week later it was still a mess. She had gone into hiding from her exfiancee, and sadly the second week in July he found her. She was14 weeks pregnant. July 13th he found her, shot her twice, once in the head. she died at 10:18 that night. needless to say things haven't been real good around here, but I am coming out of my depression over things and am starting to feel the urge to carve again. Hopefully soon I will have something new to show...

Peace,

Rod

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. It has definitely been a rough spell around here. I am starting to get beyond a big part of it and have been getting the urge to be creating once more. I am sure I will be posting new stuff soon. I received a comission from a buddy of mine recently that I need to get working on. I am sure that it will help get my creativity flowing again, at least I am hoping so. I hope that all are doing well.

Keep carving,

peace

Archived