The Way Of Forums

Mark Strom

It has been a long time since I posted any commentary on this forum but due to a recent post decided to jump out there and see what happens.

I belong to numerous forums concerned with carving and sculpture. Each forum has it's own personality determined by the sensitivity of it's moderators and members. Most are what I would describe as "feel good" forums where questions can be asked with answers given and where work is posted and the responses are all positive. This forum has indeed evolved into a very quiet place. I do not see many questions about tools etc. asked, many thought provoking ideas put forth for open discussion or a lot of work posted. The bone carvers seem to be posting the most photos.

Forums can be dangerous places as the written word can be misinterpreted and diplomacy is sometimes in short supply. It was a critique among professionals on this forum that disintegrated into a disaster of professionalism that lead to such a quiet place. My observation is that people also are afraid to post anything when the skill level is so varied , no ones likes to appear as a rank amateur. When you post a question or a photo it definitely feels like you are exposing yourself. The truth is that it does take courage and I understand that all to well. People need to keep this in mind at all times both when posting and responding to posts.

This forum has historically proven to be an open and sensitive environment. I have stepped over the line on occasion and have also been the victim of others crossing the line not only on this forum but on others as well, it is the nature of the beast. It takes courage to create and courage to put it out there. There will always be someone better or more knowledgeable but we all do our best. Put something out there be it a thought or a photo...take a chance and see how this forum responds.

Mark

It has been a long time since I posted any commentary on this forum but due to a recent post decided to jump out there and see what happens.

I belong to numerous forums concerned with carving and sculpture. Each forum has it's own personality determined by the sensitivity of it's moderators and members. Most are what I would describe as "feel good" forums where questions can be asked with answers given and where work is posted and the responses are all positive. This forum has indeed evolved into a very quiet place. I do not see many questions about tools etc. asked, many thought provoking ideas put forth for open discussion or a lot of work posted. The bone carvers seem to be posting the most photos.

Forums can be dangerous places as the written word can be misinterpreted and diplomacy is sometimes in short supply. It was a critique among professionals on this forum that disintegrated into a disaster of professionalism that lead to such a quiet place. My observation is that people also are afraid to post anything when the skill level is so varied , no ones likes to appear as a rank amateur. When you post a question or a photo it definitely feels like you are exposing yourself. The truth is that it does take courage and I understand that all to well. People need to keep this in mind at all times both when posting and responding to posts.

This forum has historically proven to be an open and sensitive environment. I have stepped over the line on occasion and have also been the victim of others crossing the line not only on this forum but on others as well, it is the nature of the beast. It takes courage to create and courage to put it out there. There will always be someone better or more knowledgeable but we all do our best. Put something out there be it a thought or a photo...take a chance and see how this forum responds.

Mark

For what it is worth, I'd like to add my 10 cents worth.

I have never felt threatened by any comments made on this forum (constructive or otherwise).

I have always accepted the advice which is so freely given and I have to say I have learned a lot.

Not only from other bone carvers but from all the amazing work that others have posted here.

So to the administrators of this site I say "keep up the good work, 99.9% of use rally appreciate what you are doing"

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Baz

Thanks Mark,

You are very right about it being very easy to misinterpret the tone of the written word. I for my part will work harder to not put forth anything in a way that could be construed negatively. I will also say here,that if you or anyone sees something that I have said on this forum, that can be construed either in a caustic way, or in a benign and harmless way, rest assured that it's about 99.9% likely that I meant it in a harmless way. Diplomacy , and politics aren't generally the forte of loners, which most of us as artists tend to be.

Forums can be dangerous, especially for those who have fragile egos, or those that are new to a craft, or the like. No one likes to look like a rank newb, and no one like to feel small, untalented or insignificant. Life is good, and most everyone has worth. If we set forth to treat everyone the way we would want to be treated, it would be a much better world. Sometimes it becomes easy to treat others negatively when they are on the other side of the computer screen, and ya never have to look at them, but the bottom line is they are still people with real feelings, and you just never know what that persons situation is like. One nice thing said to them could make the world of difference in that person's life, and could possibly set them on a course of activity that could push them to be the next Leonardo da Vinci. You just never know. Anyway, thanks for the thread, it gave me things to think about too.

Peace,

Rod

Hi all,

I am a rank amateur carver, I have recently turned my modest lapidary skills to 'simple' hard stone carving to extend myself. I don't consider myself an artist but I am enjoying the challenge of extending what I think I can do. I accept that there are many better out there and some of the work on this site is simply astounding. I don't feel that is intimidating (not much anyway), as I don't expect to be the best. I have received great feedback so far, and expect to get more on my next 2 pieces of work which are progress if they ever see light of day (2 steps forward, 1 step back type of progress).

Like everyone else, I would like to see more activity on this forum. It is regular changing content that makes me return to a forum and contribute. That is up to you and me, thanks for starting this thread.

David

I like this forum. Sometimes it's a little quiet but I like quiet. I like seeing everyones work and enjoy not only the diversity in materials and style I also enjoy the diversity in skill. We have carvers in wood, stone, metal and combinations of the three. We have carvers of netsuke, bas relief panels, archiectual, engraving, etc. It's a great place to learn.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am a rank amateur carver, I have recently turned my modest lapidary skills to 'simple' hard stone carving to extend myself. I don't consider myself an artist but I am enjoying the challenge of extending what I think I can do. I accept that there are many better out there and some of the work on this site is simply astounding. I don't feel that is intimidating (not much anyway), as I don't expect to be the best. I have received great feedback so far, and expect to get more on my next 2 pieces of work which are progress if they ever see light of day (2 steps forward, 1 step back type of progress).

Like everyone else, I would like to see more activity on this forum. It is regular changing content that makes me return to a forum and contribute. That is up to you and me, thanks for starting this thread.

David

I second what David said, he can put things into much better words than I do.

In addition I would like to say that this forum has become a place of learning for me as the information and instructions given here are more resolute than in other forums. I like the other forums, mind you, I have made great friends there, and they allowed my confidence to soar. There is nothing wrong with fast food, but ever so often you need to partake of the best; and this forums participants are representing exactly that (to me anyway).

With best regards, Kurt

As we get more hardstone carvers, that area will get more busy over time too, so nothing to worry about.

Hi everyone,

Mark, this critique amongst professionals you are referring too is probably what lead this forum to such a quiet place (or maybe the decision that was taken at this time.....) but....even if it is not a talkative place there is always someone to answer question.

I remember starting a topic about tools making and I had plenty of advices and answers. I remember some other people starting a thread about power tools where everyone has been offering some kind of answer, not so long ago Billy started a useful thread about safety tips on dust extraction, well I could go on and on, what I'm trying to say is that this forum is alive as long as one comes with the right question.

Regarding the fear to post....well, I don't think anyone should be because I never read any feedback being really harsh even though the quality of the work was the mark of an absolute beginner. So like you said, people should try and see what's coming out...

Rod, in you off on the wrong foot thread you said that you were "a little disappointed at seeing the number of views on my introduction, without so much as a hello", well I remember when I introduce myself, I never had an answer....and I'm still here.

Maybe as artist, one should know about patience. Or not, 'coz in the end I really don't consider myself as an artist and yet I know about patience.....

Anyway, this forum represents a good source of technical data in a lot of different style and even if the "social" activity is not as high as on facebook or twitter or any other non sense so-called social network (what is social about having 5000 so-called friends ?????) I'm sure that any specific questions will find here an answer.

In the end, I'm glad that this forum is not talkative, at least you cannot drown yourself into metaphysical hairy-fairy pseudo-philosophical verbiage but rather get a extremely precise and accurate information.

Christophe

• 2 weeks later...

i have viewed this forum for a little while now and id like to add my interpretation of it. i have been involved in many types of forums. Gun forums, Biker forums, church forums, jewelers forums, etc. each one has a different feel to it, and i see them as being like a club room. when you enter a club you look around and and get a feel for what the environment is like. in some forums (clubs) when you look around you see a bunch of pissed off people arguing for arguments sake. i feel this has an entertainment value to it, and is ok for some places. some forums are like people standing around in a room trying to see who is the best at what they do.

this forum is diffrent. the mood of the carving path is one that i haven't seen before. i picture it like this.....

I walk into the club and look around. the club room is only lit by the light streaming through the windows. leather arm chairs fill the room with people quietly sitting down working on their masterpieces. you can walk around and observe masters at their craft. this is a place where more can be learned by watching and as such there is not much talking. patience is taught in the art and attitude of the environment, as this is the most important ingredient for defining ones art. Some of us come in off the street that is loud and busy and this room is too quiet to deal with but if one stays inside the room for a while the calm is less threatening and the mind starts to take in all there is to see.

i dont mean to sound artsy-fartsy. it is just my interpratation. i feel that this environment has developed in a way that matches the art itself in that patience and a calm mind is more important than a sharp chisel.

Archived