Cottontail

Mark Strom

Another recently finished project. Due to this new finishing technique I am finishing my carving in groups. It is easier to do the glazing and the framing.

This panel is carved from basswood and measures approximately 10"w x 13"hgt x 3/4"thick. The carving is done in 1/4" depth. The background is three different stains followed by several different glazes made from artist oils. The leaves are watercolors followed with some glazes to highlight and add color depth. The rabbit and tree are done with artist oils followed by numerous glazes. All of these were manipulated in different ways to achieve the finished look. The ferns were carved through the stain to the natural wood and then glazed.

This is another step in this learning process of using earth tone colors in different mediums to create a three dimensional painting. I am trying to achieve a look or feel with my carvings that sort of transcends pure carving. However, there are no painted shadows or deception other than what was created through carving. It has been a learning curve for sure. Hope you enjoy my efforts.

Mark

www.stromcarver.com

post-727-0-42082500-1329367660.jpg

Hello Mark,

What a wonderful piece! You continue to amaze me with your thoughtful choices and effective results. The ferns and use of stain/carvng is great. I wish that I could see this one in person, and the others as well.

I used to really like using oils for coloring my pieces, but the boxwood, time and light exposure seemed to have changed at least one of my pieces so much so that the client was greatly perturbed. I have not figured out how to return to oils, but hope to some day.

Thank you for sharing this one with us. Could you include a closer in photo of the ferns and background?

Janel

Thanks Janel for your kind comments. I feel like this exploration is going to open new doors in all kind of directions. It certainly has been a creative challenge.

I tried to PM you but was unable to. Wanted to know what kind of problems you encountered with the oils. I am consulting with a restoration artist that was classically trained in England. We have discussed permanence and other issues but have not encountered what you mention. Maybe if I knew what you encountered I could either solve it before it began or anticipate the changes. If you could contact me I certainly would appreciate it.

Thanks Janel,

Mark

Archived