post-3191-0-06213900-1330550080.jpgpost-3191-0-42654000-1330550044.jpgpost-3191-0-45532700-1330550008.jpgpost-3191-0-33756200-1330549984.jpgpost-3191-0-80731700-1330549962.jpg

HI guys, I just wanted to show you my latest projects. Forgive the poor photo quality, but I am still working on our photograhy of my projects. Monday night My wife and I had the pleasure of doing a meet and greet, with the heavy metal band Iced Earth. We love their music, and it is only the second time in the last 12 years they have been to Dallas. We had been looking foward to this concert for months. Why I didn't think of it sooner, I don't know but friday I started working on Carvings for the band. I think they turned out pretty well, and the guys from the band really did dig their gifts. There are things I would do different with these, if I had to do them over, but I was really stoked not only to give them their gifts, but by their reactions. The guitar pendant isn't finished in the pic, but I didn't have time to get new pics before the show monday night. The rattlesnake head, and the tribal wolf head are roughly the size of an american quarter. The hammer, and the Mountain man head are about 2 inches tall, and the guitar is roughly 3 inches long. All of these were hung on viking weave knit chains. Troy Seele told me after the concert when I got to talk to him, Freddie Vidales, and Jon Schaffer, "You see this M.F. right here? Iain't taking this F'ing S*&% off my neck..." I'm still stoked.

Please let me know what you think.

Peace,

Rod

Congrats for meeting your favorite band. But even more so to completing your work on time.

Nice ideas overal, but I do like the guitar, and thinking of taking this idea to hardstone.

Psilomaine comes to mind to make it litterally heavy metal. LOL

I have thought of trying gemstone carving, but since that would involve more equipment that I don't have for polishing stone, I think I'll have to wait.

The thing I hate about these pics, is that they look so much better IRL. we took these pics and I had to rework a couple of them in Photoshop just to get the designs to show up. IRL that isn't the case. the tool marks on the hammer are almost non existant, and yet they show up like an s.o.b. in the pic. The same goes for the mountain man. The scales show up better on the snake too. they aren't as crisp as I'd like, but to the touch, they feel like a petrified snake's head. Hopefully I will figure out the best way to carve scales, for snakes and dragons and the like. I wasn't planning on carving the scales on the snake at all, but my tool marks were starting to look like scales anyway, so I went with it.

Anyway, any tips on making my work look better would be really appreciated.

Peace.

I'm sure there are members here who can help you with your quantrary. I use burrs on dremel and sandingpaper, but thats for stone, so it might not apply to your material. But in the end, the problem of scratches in pictures (for any material) will always be there, and can only be remidied by going over the whole sanding-process again, till its really done. I usually sand my pieces all the way to the polish, then take pictures fully expecting that there are still some scratches that I can't see with piece at hand, and then go back to correct whatever I find in the pictures.

As for scales, I'm sure you have seen the recent "Lizard Netsuke" post by Richard P.. I think thats a very nice example with closeup pictures to follow. I think his construction works on every material and stands out with or without additional staining. On top of it, its also a prime example for newbies like myself, to practice getting a step closer to realistic carving.

Your guitar got into my head, will try it this weekend and give you a shout when done.

Best regards, Kurt

• 3 months later...

Very nice, Its also good to see I'm not the only iced earth fan involved in this form of art. I find it most relaxing zoning out to the heaviest of metals and carving myself into a stupor....... I also agree with Kurt in regards to taking photo's then going back to correct the errors that your eye did not see, some times it helps to take photo's with the flash activated at different angles and look for the shadows?

Archived