Hello. I'm Toddthecarver

Toddr

My Name is Todd Runfeldt. Online, I'm almost always Toddthecarver. I began carving when I was a kid. I went pro about 22 years ago. I carve mini and macro. My little pieces are mostly antler, and then amber, fossil Ivory, veggie ivory, pipestone, and occasionally bone. Find out more than you want to know by Google-ing me, either my real name, or my handle. I am the only Todd Runfeldt in the USA. I carve mostly jewelry, and collectible buttons. For my introductory piece, I'd like to show you my 'Ship's Captain'. I can't seem to get it down to the 50k guidelines, so you can go see it at:http://www.flickr.com/photos/toddthecarver/6956548215/. I sell my work online, and at Renaissance Festivals.

Things I carve that are not miniature: Limestone, Marble, and Sand Sculptures. I dabble with Stainless Steel, too. I look forward to contributing and learning from the group. Thanks, Todd The Carver

Hi Todd,

Images could go up to around 100 k and still be okay. Thank you for the link to the tiny captain. Which Ren Fests do you do? In another life, I did the Minnesota Renaissance Festival for 20 or so years as a potter.

I've been using my microgrinder this evening to turn 1mm inlays of mammoth tusk ivory, and sometimes wonder if I'll get smart and work larger some day!

Welcome to the forum!

Janel

OUt of curiosity Todd, do you scarborough faire in TX. One of the carvers there is named Todd, and he does small carvings out of the same materials, and does larger scuptures from limestone. And whether you are him or not, welcome to the Carving Path.

Peace,

Rod

Well, I just looked you up online, and since you are out of Waxahachie, I am willing to bet that you are one and the same. I'll be seeing you this spring at Faire. I will be sure to reintroduce myself. I usually stop by at least once a season looking at your stuff, and talking a little shop.

Rod

Rod, yes that's me. look forward to seeing you. We open in about 20 days!

David, I did not use a magnifier when I made that piece, but I do now! I wear an Optivisor (glass lenses!) I have developed astigmatism, and cannot focus closer than about 10 inches without it.

Janel, I did Minnesota once, I was herding camels at the time, and did not get out much.

Michigan was my home show, and since both shows are concurrent, I rarely got up to Minnesota. I was there sometime in the mid to late 90's.

As to which Fairs I do, I currently do Texas Renfair, Houston, Scarborough faire, Waxahachie, tx, and Maryland Renaissance Faire.

I have done, Michigan, Minnesota, Bristol (chicagoland), Ohio, Bay Area fl, Florida Renfaire near Miami, Tampa Renfaire, Arizona(first ten years), Colorado, Georgia, Louisiana(First 3 years), New York, Northern and Southern, Cloisters (1 day, new york city) Norman Medieval, ok, and The Texas Scottish festival and highland games. I think that about covers it. I am about to branch out into Sand Sculpture Festivals.

In all the years that I have carved, I mostly only carved found items, antlers, and bones from the forest. A good elk leg bone is very straight, and usually very white, and the marrow will have dried, and disappeared before I find 'em and bring them home. In truth, I carve about 90 percent antler, 2 percent bone, 2 percent amber, and 6 percent fossil ivory.

I find Axis antler is usually very white, and very dense, and I have had little desire to carve bone. Moose antler, though usually grey, is extremely dense, and produces very large carving blanks. A good moose horn can produce a single carvable piece up to 8 inches long and 3 inches thick.

I came to this group searching for info on cleaning a beef bone that I got in a shank steak I was gonna buy sirloin, till I saw the bone:) I have Steven's bone carving book, but it is locked up at a friend's house for safe keeping, as I am currently traveling. So, I got this bone, soaked it in bleach water, pushed out the marrow, and let it dry. I cut the remaining gristle off after it dried, and slabbed it today, but it still had more color than I was looking for, so I put it back in bleach water again. BTW, I don't usually mess with 'wet' materials, and, ew, don't care for it. Maybe tomorrow, I will get it out again, and see if it is whiter.

It's a pleasure to be here, and look forward to learning and teaching as much as I can.

Archived