Sign in to follow this  
Richard P

Ryusa Netsuke

I've been carving boxwood for a few months now and wanted to try my hand at doing a Ryusa Netsuke. As i like carving cherry blossoms i thought it would be a good subject to use.

Its carved from a solid piece of boxwood and measures 42mm X 11mm. I stained it using leather dye and finished it with a few coats of shellac.

all comments welcome

cn01.jpg

cn02.jpg

cn03.jpg

cno5.jpg

Beautiful Carving. Did you use any power tools or just hand tools ? I must say though for such a nice carving Shoe Dye seems a poor choice in finishes, was there a reason to use it ? I have used shoe care products on carvings before so I ask the question in a life long quest of knowledge. Again very nice carving, thank you for sharing. Ragnar

Beautiful Carving. Did you use any power tools or just hand tools ? I must say though for such a nice carving Shoe Dye seems a poor choice in finishes, was there a reason to use it ? I have used shoe care products on carvings before so I ask the question in a life long quest of knowledge. Again very nice carving, thank you for sharing. Ragnar

Why would anyone Not use power tools!? it is the artistry and the outcome that matters.

i would use power tools and sometimes its the power tool that breaks a piece...hand tools, power tools...use them both it is the outcome that matters....shoe dye? ill have to experiment with that one thank you.

Thank you all for the lovely comments on my carving. Regarding the use of power tools and hand tools, for this Netsuke I used both. The inside was drilled out as much as could be then using tools with bent necks I hand carved the remainder out.