Striker knives, just for fun

Rik Palm

Just for fun!

I Forged these from a couple small pieces of file, top one is 5 inches long with a 1 1/2 inch blade. Bottom one with the forged punched hole is about 4 1/2 inches long with a 1 1/4 blade. You can still barely make out the "USA" next to the hole Surprisingly they both feel good in the hand.

Both are used with flint to make sparks for fire! (yes those are blisters that I got from doing friction fire with a hand drill, flint and steel is much easier)

wstrikerknives.jpg

wsparks.jpg

thanx for looking

Rik

I'm thinking carving-scraper tool! They look just right for certain strokes.

Nice serpentine handles. They are lively, like the spark trails. Thanks for showing us these. I like the small blades too.

Are they available? PM or email me privately if so.

I'd like the top one, it looks like a comfy shape for holding and doing some work with. Would the edge hold sharpness to be used as a scraper and perhaps a cutter?

Janel

Janel, I would love to hammer you out something! Maybe I can get a sketch from you on a blade shape and size that would be useful? I'm not sure that a metal handle would be comfortable after awhile, maybe we could use wood or antler? but still give it some scrolls.

I thought this was kinda funny.... I couldn't bring myself to throwing out this little bitty piece of file!

so...

wsnake.jpg

Rik

Thanks Rik!

In that case, when I am back in the studio, I'll use a wood shim and figure out a comfortable shape that is reminiscent of the file/blades (just the dimensional part). My guess is that I would pinch the blade with thumb and forefinger and the other three fingers would wrap around the rest and add support. I'll work up some ideas for blade shape/dimensions too.

The snake file/blade makes me smile ;) , I think that you have fun with your work sometimes!

(rubbing hands together with anticipation smiley)

Gross! I can't believe that you cut the can of mushroom soup! What a mess. WHAT A HUNK OF A SHARP KNIFE! Made for serious work! What is the indent for, or do I not want to know? (I just had a look at the What's New page on your site.)

Janel

Sounds like a plan!

Yes the mushroom soup was "not too" smart! oh well it was a lesson.

That's a choke up grip, I wanted a knife that was capable of chopping and doing small work. I figured the length would give me the speed, the close up grip would eliminate extra weight. I was trying to get a 9 inch knife down to 1 pound or less, (I hate carrying anymore weight backpacking then I have too! )

Yes, forging is fun! I see all kinds of things I want to hammer! ;)

copper mousy

wmouse.jpg

Archived