A Few Maritime Decorations

JanosN

Hi, just finished the third 'more serious' miniature carving. The latest is a side board decoration of Het Statenjacht Utrect, a luxury yacht from the 17th century - and a bit of close-up of it. The material is Turkish Boxwood, finished with Feast Watson Scandinavian Oil, the stand is Pearwood.

The third picture shows all 3 together. The Royal George Coat of Arms is on the left, Turkish Boxwood with gloss poly finish. The stand is Bloodwood. In the middle is the figure head amazon of the 17th century Swedish Frigate Bellona, European Boxwood with Scandinavian Oil finish, on Red Cedar stand. The third is the Statenjacht deco from above.

Being just a hobbyist I will never get to the professional level of you guys here, but I already learnt a lot and will continue to do so.

Janos

post-3256-0-84883000-1334982868.jpg

post-3256-0-64056900-1334982873.jpg

post-3256-0-42918400-1334982878.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

I was offline for quite a while, but back again with a few maritime carvings.

First here are 2 photos of the nearly finished original Victory figure head from 1765, as the ship had been built originally. At her 1801 re-build she received the figure head which we know today - the big shield with the white angels. The original composition was about 3m high so my carving is about 1:20 scale, with approx. 15 cm height. Still needs some finish and a few small carvings to cover a few spots where I went too deep. The material is South American Boxwood (Costelo) with Danish Oil finish.

The next photo is the current state of the Britannia aft decoration. This is just the tafferel carving and I am about to build a sliver of the aft of the ship with more carvings and galleries, windows, etc. The material is again Costelo and there is no finish on the carving as yet as it is not ready. The width of the carving is about 12 cm.

I am in a bit of trouble - hesitating what surface finish would be the best for these types of decorations. As per Janel's suggestion I prefer scraping (and probably should go much further with the finish) and using Danish or Scandinavian oil. I went through the thread about the Box and Ebony finishes but still would need a bit of advice which way to go. I also read about a suggestion to use a diluted Golden Oak stain before finish but I did not try it as yet.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!

Janos

Marz, sorry, I missed your post. I am involved in the ModelShipWorld site (msw dot com) - probably the biggest and busiest site in its area - and have quite a few links, photos, etc. from there. There is also a recent book at Amazon or at Pen & Sword Books, 'Ships decoration' which has quite a few good pictures.

post-3256-0-33629200-1388038527.jpg

post-3256-0-18718900-1388038539.jpg

post-3256-0-54318800-1388038556.jpg

Hello Janos,

It is good to see you here again, and to see the new pieces being carved.

Finishing is still a big question area for me with each new piece. Testing on a piece made, with details, to experiment on from the same wood, and not the real piece, is always a good idea. This will allow you to see what a stain or dye would do with the carving details. Rough spots could hold more stain, revealing themselves in an uncomplimentary way on the test piece could be instructional for final surface preparation if you like the results of the coloration otherwise.

A completely different kind of work, but with Costello Boxwood here: by Sharon Church . I do not know what she uses to color her pieces, sorry. I am just a fan of what she does.

I look forward to seeing where you go with these pieces.

Kindest regards, and may your new year be enjoyable for you.

Janel

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived