For Ford

Guest DFogg

Hi Don and Ford,

Thanks for the kind words. I think joint venture of Don and Ford would be the best of both worlds. A miniature daisho with grain and a hamon with gold fittings on a miniature inlaid sword stand would be beautiful. Quarter scale is a desirable size and an 18" suit of Japanese armor takes it out of the toy catagory.

Dick

Guest ford hallam

Morning all,

Don,

I`m seriously up to the challenge. I`ll provide the mounting, metal habaki, tsuba, fuchi-kashira, magnolia wood core hilt and scabbard, japanese lacquer on the saya etc. As Dick suggests, A daisho pair on a little sword rack would make for a very appealing display.

And now I`m in trouble, I really want to make a tiny kabuto ( helmet ) and menpo ( face mask ) ;)

Ford,

I`ve got a mate of mine over here who learned his polishing technique in Japan, who could do the polish for us. I wonder how fine the silk braid can be made? :D

Hi Ford and Don,

Sounds like you have a project. If you get stuck for a handle wrap I have a friend who is the CEO of a large custom textile company. Although he does not make anything like the silk braid you need he has contacts around the world. He also loves swords and miniatures. A kabuto and mempo would be great and would go great with the swords. A full suit of armor would be very difficult and time consuming (this is not a challange). When I was working for Cotswold many people asked us to make a Samurai in full armor but the cost for a prototype and production of armor with plates and silk braid was very,very cost prohibitive. I think a kabuto with mempo on a traditional stand with a dragon maedate would be stunning sitting next to a daisho pair on a matching finish rack. The two would visually balance and compliment each other.

Dick

Guest ford hallam

Hi Dick,

no worries, I won`t rise to the challenge of making a whole suit of armour. ;) I may get round to a helmet and mask though. as for the braid, I`m looking into getting some scaled down silk woven by a friend who studied in the Domyo ( imperial ) school of braid making (kumihimo ). If we`re going to do this lets do it right :D

If I geta chance on Sunday I see if I can`t knock up a couple of samples of tiny tsuba, You`ll be first to see them.

regards, Ford

oooo! (hand raised eagerly smiley). Can I volunteer my services for the silk braid for sageo and handle-wrap? I've had to try my hand at kumihimo (there's an old thread on that topic somewhere) for making ojime cords. The process can certainly be miniaturized. Obtaining silk is no problem.

It might be nice to keep the hand-made theme on the cords as well.

I don't have a kumihimo domyo certificate though ;)

Roderick Owen's the English chap who wrote the book on braiding. There's someone named Katherine... another Brit, she studied in Japan...is she your contact Ford?

Guest ford hallam

Hi Doug,

Excellent!, If you reckon you`re up for it ( as we say over here ) it would be great to keep it "in house". We will need a sageo, possibly patterned, subtly so. :)

Don and I are working on scale at the moment, it looks as though a blade width of about 3/5th of an inch will allow Don just enough room to create a hamon. You could work out the scale and size of a handle.

I don`t know the gentleman ( I assume ;) ) you mentioned, Katherine Martin, yes. Though a student of hers, Marion Edwards is the lady who most often makes stuff for me, albeit infrequently of late.

Looks as though We`ve started the best game in the playground :D , now everyone will want to join our gang ;) .

This could be really big, uh! small, no..um, er you know what I mean :D

Ford ( lilliputian smiley )

Guest ford hallam

Well,

Don started this thread, so I reckon he can do what he wants with it :D , he`s the boss. ;)

Once we`ve fixed a size i`ll get some measurements to you but if you`d like to experiment in the interim, I suppose a scale of about a third would be kinda where we`re heading. We may have to juggle a little with the length while keeping a little extra width to allow Don to do his stuff. I don`t want to go blind on this! ;)

Cheers, Ford

Guest ford hallam

And here is an image of a kozuka blade made by Hiroki Hirokuni ( mukansa tosho ), A birthday present from my teacher this year, lucky me ;)

The image is actual size and as you can see the hamon is very fine and controlled, there is a very fine mokume hada present and the little horimono was done by my teacher, Izumi Koshiro.

inspired?

Ford

Hi Don, Ford and Doug,

I think the choice of 1/3 scale is an excellent one. I have made miniature weapons in 1/12 up to 1/2 scale. One third scale in a sword allows good detail but still feels like a miniature. If you get much bigger, like one half, it feels like a full size sword when you hold the piece.

Dick

• 3 years later...

Archived