New To Carving...and The Forum!

Brad Crisler

Hello all!

So happy to be apart of this creative community!

I'm a professional songwriter (22 years) but among my greatest passions are early Christian and Eclesiastical art. That has led me through a stint of painting illuminated manuscripts as well as some other art ventures and now has brought me to carving. My main area of interest is Byzantine, anglo-saxon as well as medieval-Tudor ecclesiastical ivories. Having never picked up a carving tool (and not really being sure what a carving tool is:) the last couple of weeks I ordered some small pre-ban blanks from http://www.boonetrading.com/ and dove right in (which is my way)....I carved these 3 pieces with a scribe (pen vise with a sharpened needle) and two small gravers....they are all really juvenile and crude (but so is a lot of Byzantine and Anglo-saxon art:)...

I look forward to gleaning much wisdom from this community of artists! Thanks in advance for your graciousness and patience with another newbie!

Brad Crisler

Nashville

post-3278-0-96576100-1335581906.jpg

post-3278-0-48010500-1335581918.jpg

post-3278-0-36006700-1335581979.jpg

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

There are a lot of bone carvers here in all sorts of styles, and they will be very helpful as soon as you start asking questions.

By the way, nothing wrong with being a beginner, and from here it only gets better, as long as you set your sight on it.

Welcome! Nice to have you here!

You picked a very interresting topic, whiche also interrests me a lot. looking at your works, you certainly have talent and i am looking foreward to see more of your works!

Very well done! It looks realy authentic!

Archived